Correcting wonky newel post

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jordan282, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Jordan282

Jordan282 New Member

I’m doing a full renovation in a 1930’s semi and finally come to a job I’ve been concerned about for some time. I am sorting out the banister which will be replaced with a large piece of glass with wooden hand rail above. However, the newel post at the top of the stairs is almost 2” out from top to bottom.

It’s fixed very well and has absolutely no movement in it at all. Which is one of the reason I don’t want to get in to removing the whole thing as it is fixed to so many things in so many places.

It’s 97mm square and is not warped at all. I just think over time it has moved with the house hence why it’s so far out.

First I considered cladding it in MDF to make it plum but after seeing how far out it actually is, that’s not an option as it would make it far too big. Now I’m considering cutting it off near the bottom and fixing a new piece and making it plum from the base-up. I just wouldn’t know how best to go about making a neat job of this method.

Anyone any ideas?

https://ibb.co/xfL3Zsd
    https://ibb.co/022dzD2

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Easiest way is what you suggest, cut the post off leaving three to four inches left above the floor, then find the centre and drill a (32mm?) hole for either a spigot newel or large broom handle and do the same to the new section of newel if not using a spigot type. Use Polyurethane glue, and strut the newel plumb until the glue has cured. Take care to drill the hole as accurate as you can to ensure the newel is as plumb as can be. You may need to fill and sand the join or fix a thin flat moulding around it to make it look intentional.

3. Jordan282

Jordan282 New Member

I think that what I’ll have to do then. What’s the best way of getting a clean/square cut on a 95mm newel post?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Circular saw guided true by an aluminium speed square finished off with a sharp handsaw and any ridges sanded down.

Jordan282 likes this.