Coservatory wall "absorbing" Water

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Conservatory wall "absorbing" water, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Hello all,

My conservatorty wall is absorbing water from the outside. It has been doing it ever since we moved in, in 09/2007. Whenever it rains or is cold you can see the outlines of the morter between the bricks through the plaster and paint inside.
    It started to show large signs of mould around the top of the wall just after we moved in.
    This weekend i was cleaning the wall and bits of paint and plaster started to come off the wall. with a little help quite large chunks started to come off.

The conservatory is from Everest but they did not do the brick work etc.. only the frame and glass. They have been round to inspect but said that its a problem with the wall that the previous owners got there "mate" to do. We have tried to call him but cannot get a answer and i have also got in contact with my insurance company but they have said that the wall is not covered under my policy.

Anyway can someone help me out with what to do with regard to stopping the bricks from absorbing the water. this weekend i am going to completely strip the wall of its plaster to get a idea of really how bad it is. The section i have uncovered is qyite bad already as it begins to dry out but the moment is starts raining the wall is soaking.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

It sounds like it is a single brick wall (ie only about 4" thick) If that is correct then, while you can spray the outside with a water repellent, the obvious route would be to line the inside with a second course, leaving a gap (cavity)between, and cover the top with a window cill.
    If the wall is 9" thick then the water repellent is the way to go.

3. Sorry i should have mentioned that this wall is full height - from floor to roof. The other walls that are "knee" height are fine and showing no signs of damage.

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Have you checked gutting etc, it's likely there is water being forced against the brickwork to cause it to show thru.Is it brickwork or rendered block work.?

5. Big Jumbo

Big Jumbo New Member

The height is not the relevant factor, the construction is... and the construction is?

6. The wall is constructed of breeze bloc upto the level of the fence - about 6 feet high and then on top of that it is normal bricks the same size and colour of the house.(i dont know why this "builder" done it this way and not construct the hole wall out of normal bricks) there is no guttering on the outside of this wall. The wall is slopping like the roof (if that makes sense..)

The outside wall is not rendard.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Worst possible combination, I would say. Builder did that to be cheap, and hidden behind fencing. Paying the price for it now! :( I'll wager that the 'block area' is the area showing through as damp.

The water/rain hitting the bricks(less porous) is running down to the blocks and drenching them. That wetness is not drying out because it is behind a fence and not getting enough air circulation.

Take the fence down and have it rendered with plenty waterproofer in the mixes.

If it is out of sight a bit, consider attaching something to 'deflect' the weather away(so as to hit the deflection and drop the water away from the wall), a strip of lead for example, fixed up under the eave of the conny.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. michaeljoseph008

michaeljoseph008 New Member

you have to repair it as soon as possible I have found a great wall re-pair and construction company have a look on it

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

9. Hammerman99

Hammerman99 New Member

That age old damp problem. Remember that water ONLY runs downhill and all will become apparent. If you think about this the problem is one of the water NOT running anywhere. If water is sitting still the material around it will start capillary action, that is it will start sucking up the water. The most probable causes of your problem are that the outside level is higher than your damp proof course. Damp proof course should be 150mm above the outside ground level. The ground should slope away from the building. If either of these conditions are not met then water can sit either in the earth against the wall or on the concrete which sits adjacent to the wall. If you do not have a damp proof course then you need to find a way to get the water away from the building. The simplest way is to dig a trench around the wall about 150mm wide and 450mm deep. Fill this trench with pea shingle and any water which finds its way into it will instantly drain away. It's called a French drain. Search on the Internet. If the levels of the ground are ok then you could be suffering from condensation. This winter has been quite bad for condensation as it ha generally been quite a warm winter. If your wall is single skin then it will attract cold air from outside and warm air from inside. The answer to this is ventilation.