Cost for brick and block garage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jimbo13, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 New Member

10.8m x 5.8m garage, brick and block, one door and one window on a long side and two double doors at one end. How much for labour just for the brick and block work ? midlands area.

2. robbo69

robbo69 New Member

Been a bricklayer 38 years live in Durham area labour usually any where between £80 to £130 per day per brickie should take about 4 days from d p c height below ground depending how the ground is because you don't know what is below you I have been caught out before by giving a price and the ground being ****. Hope this helps

3. Jimbo13

Jimbo13 New Member

Thanks Robbo.

Foundations and slab already done. I dug and poured foundations, they built blockwork up to blues; 5 courses block, twin skin (deep foundations). I did DPM and rebar. They did slab pour and finish. Cost for work to that point was £1160.

Since that was done he/they've been on it for 2 weeks, it's around half way up up now on one side (just over waist height, brick and block) and the other side is about eaves height, I'm being charged £240 per day for builder and labourer. Think I need to agree final price with him as I'm concerned he's aiming for it to take 4 weeks, a friend had garage built bigger than mine, was finished within 2 weeks with roof on !

4. jackyboy

jackyboy New Member

Is 4 weeks full time every day or is it more a morning here and an afternoon there, if it's 4 weeks full time he's dragging it out, i'm not a bricky but i built my own house doing all the block and stone work myself and i could build your garage faster than 4 weeks.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

one Bricky and one Labourer should knock this up in two weeks no problem, based on good weather and all materials on site ready to use.

4 weeks is taking the p***.

The day rate sounds about right though for two people.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

no agreed final price, daywork during the summer - sounds like Xmas come early for someone