Cost for replacing double glazing with blanking panels?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by marc1977, Jan 11, 2011.

1. marc1977

marc1977 Member

Hi,
    I have a double glazed bay window and I got a qoute from a local firm to replace the bottom panes with white "blanking" panels as the window is too large and makes the lounge feel like a gold fish bowl.
    Anyhow, i was qouted £325 for the job. 2 panels required -230cm x 80cm and 90cm x 80cm both 24mm thick. Do you think this is too expensive???
    Marc

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

£120 max.

How come those sizes ? (2.3m and 0.9m). Only 2 sides to bay ? Or one side already blanked!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. marc1977

marc1977 Member

yes  - i guess it is not a true bay - there are only 2 sides as one side is against the house wall. there are 4 panels in total and i want to blank the bottom 2.

4. marc1977

marc1977 Member

i thought about 150-200. however i spoke to a glazier and they qouted me £150 just for the panels...

5. Mr. Handyandy

He'll be making £50-£60 profit on those.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. marc1977

marc1977 Member

fine...but if thats the cost you wont get them fitted for 120 will you?

7. Mr. Handyandy

Well, if the cost of the panels is £100, then  £150 fitted. It's only 10 minutes work.

If you look online. you'll probably get those panels(with foam AND ply inserts for extra strength)  for under £100.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. marc1977

marc1977 Member

ok thanks for the help. By the way the guy that came round to provide the qoute removed a panel to measure the thickness. He had a few issues refitting it and now the rubber beading is not tight at all and the panel seems much much more in the frame. Its as if the plastic surround is much less tight so does not hold the pane in place as well. Is this common when removing panels on old windows (they are probably more than 20 years old)? He said he would put it right when he returns to fit the blanking panels but im worried it cant be fixed.

9. Mr. Handyandy

It sounds as though he hasn't replaced the beading (not the rubber 'wedge') properly. It could be in danger of falling out.
    There a quite a few different styles of bead so I would not know from here which you have, but basically with a 45º bead, there is a lug that fits in a slot outside the pane/panel in the frame, and then one that clips back into the foremost part of the frame. The rubber forces the latter tightly and keeps it in. If the first lug is not located in the groove, then there will be no tightness, and it is not secure.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really