Cost of replacement flashing for chimney?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Katromas, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Katromas

Katromas New Member

Hi there, I'm wondering if I could get a bit of advice on a quote I received.

I've employed a roofer to do almost a new roof for me. Whole new underfelt, battens, a bit of repointing on the chimney, keep the original tiles, replacing only broken ones, with a couple of minor other things in. There is no issue with the quote for this.

Today is the first day, the scaffolding is up, and he came to me with an issue they have found with the chimney flashing being old, possibly code 2 lead, and not performing properly.
    The property is 1930s and although well-looked after not much as changed since maybe the 50s (we became owners of the house last month) so I didn't doubt the lead flashing needs replaced when he mentioned it. I told him to pop it in a quote for me and I'll have a look.
    He not long after told me verbally it would cost about £1150. Citing it was down to the cost of lead. I asked him to send it over in the quote so I can think about it.
    In the quote he said he had some sealant in the van so had dropped it to £1080. Nothing itemised, just the work described
    Would you say this quote is at all accurate? Because it feels a little steep.
    I did a bit of research on sites like checkatrade, my builder, etc for the average cost of this job with most places quoting around £425 going up to maybe £800 if you include scaffolding. So I'm really struggling to see where the figure I've been quoted has come from.
    Particularly when I consider that I am already paying for the scaffolding in my first quote for the roof, all the tiles will be out the way as the underfelt is replaced, and the property is a mid-terrace, so I only need my half of the flashing replaced.
    Would you be able to offer any advice on the accuracy of the quote? Have people had the same job done and been quoted a similar amount? Any feedback would be great.

Kat

2. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

£70 worth of lead-mate sealant ? What’s he planning on doing with 14 tube of sealant :D

3. Katromas

Katromas New Member

Exactly, it just all seems a bit off to me. Do you have any knowledge of cost of code 4 lead? As he’s claimed it’s £460 for it. And how much you might need for a half of a chimney

4. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

I’m sorry but with seeing the stack, estimating the amount of lead would be guessing. Although that does sound high.

5. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

The access and cost of stripping the roof is already covered so a couple of hours work some lead and a couple of tubes of Leadmate is what is required extra.

He's a total chancer and to suggest he can drop £70 just because there's a couple of tubes in the van is an insult to your intelligence. firstly unless the chimney is mahoosive he isn't going to use anything like that amount and secondly if it's in his van he had to buy it and he'll have to replace it.

pppmacca43 likes this.