Cost to tile a kitchen and hallway

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by alan2525, Aug 26, 2010.

1. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

Kitchen and hallway approx 15 sq yds. Kitchen cleared for the tiler to do his thing, skirtings removed, kitchen has three doors, tiling required to run through kitchen into hallway. Upstands required in kitchen.

Tiler quoted £1800 labour alone and estimated the work to take 2 people 6 days!

Price was then reduced to £1500 for 5 days work.

This still works out at £100 a square yard to scrape a bit of gunk on the floor with a plastic trowel and press the tiles into it.

I know you pay for his experience and am sure he'd do a top class job, but paying a premium and for 6 days work too!

What planet is he on and what's a ballpark figure for laying ceramic kitchen tiles per yard?

2. john1974

john1974 New Member

well if it is as easy as that why dont u do it yourself. I'm sure u will get a lippage free mirror finish that will last for years NOT

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I would charge MORE than your tiler. My clients would be happy to pay too.

You pays your money you takes your chances......

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Impossible to say without seeing the job and what is involved.

5. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

What would you charge then Captain Leaky? Surprised you could quote for a job without seeing it!

6 days seems like a long time to tile a small kitchen though. Especially as all the prep has been done for him, cupboards and appliances all cleared out too!

6. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

Well thanks for your insight john1974! Just wondered what the going rate was. £100 per square yard seems a lot. Thats about £10 a tile. And to crank the job out to 6 days would be something like one hour for 2 people to lay 3 tiles...

I would have thought a pro would be able to work to a high standard and be a little more productive that that.

7. G Brown

G Brown New Member

I think the lads don't like your tone ;)

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

asking fellow pro's to criticise another pro's prices always get the back up.

If you had phrased the question differently ie how much per sq M and not talked about the other tiler people might have been a bit more forthcoming.

I always back off when customers start dissing another pro.

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

Alan my only question is "wot the hell is a yard? tiles a sold by the meter! to me a yard is somewhere i store my goods and van!, ps i charge £45 sq meter labour only for floor tiling. il let you do the maths"....... ;)

10. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

A yard (abbreviation: yd) is a unit of length in several different systems, including English units, Imperial units, and United States customary units. It is equal to 3 feet or 36 inches.

11. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O When yer stuck down a hole - stop digging mate :^O :^O

12. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

So the cost per Sq Yard/Metre is between £40 and £100+

That's quite a range!

13. tic tic

tic tic New Member

cost per m2,ranges from differant areas of the country..
    i.e standard 13x13 ceramic could be 25pounds per m2 in west coast of scotland,but for same job in lets say london could be 45ponds +..

for larger format tiles 600mm+ the price will rise.

then there is preperation to the walls/floors.

i would suggest you get at least 3 quotes for your job,and ask to see their portfollio or recomandations.

some guys will charge per m2,some guys will charge a day rate..

14. Alpha dock

Alpha dock New Member

As mentioned, it is impossible for people on here to give a true opinion without seeing a job. 12 man days to complete 15 sq/yards (12.5M/sq) does seem like an extrememly long time for an experienced tiler, unless the job is not as straight forward as you make out. If it were to take 12 man days then yes £1800 is reasonable, £150 per day is around the average a tiler would charge/earn.
    Have you had any other quotes? If they are all around the same figure then thats how much it's going to cost.
    Assuming that the tiles are ceramic, there's nothing other than a square kitchen floor running under the units and down a hallway; we would charge £30 per M/sq plus materials plus VAT. I would expect it to take 1 man a day to lay, then grout the next. But again it's impossible to say without seeing the job, even a discription by the customer doesn't always reveal just what is involved.

15. GKU

GKU New Member

Sounds to me like the Tiler does'nt want the job and is trying to put you off for some reason , maybe as said above (not as straightforward as made out)or some other reason ;)

16. alan2525

alan2525 New Member

Had another quote of £750 including adhesive and grout too. Estimated at 2 1/2 days work (2 days to tile, 1/2 day to grout)

That seems more like the figure I was expecting!

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

trouble is Alan, disrespect in my experience greatly increases prices, I call it aggro money, speaking as a chippie, my good, reliable, polite and respectful customers in essence have their work subsidised by me quoting super difficult customers who have a bit of a superior attitude(who struggle to get anyone to even give them a quote) super high prices that they are almost forced into taking. I shall leave it up to you and others to decide which camp I reckon you would be in.

18. GKU

GKU New Member

19. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Who has never stuck in a high price to ensure they don't get the job ?

Not me!

20. Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr New Member

Yes, some people can be very difficult to work for.