Cost to tile kitchen

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Wolf72, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Wolf72

Wolf72 New Member

Hi

I am in the process of arranging to have my kitchen floor tiled.

It is just short of 30sqm and we will be having porcelain tiles most likely 30x30 but not chosen yet. We are in the Midlands.

I have some tilers coming round to quote but have no idea what would be reasonable for fitting (including adhesive & grout). I appreciate some of the cost comes from awkward cuts etc so not too concerned about an accurate estimate, just a guide price.

I just wondered if anybody could give me a rough idea on what sounds like a good price.

Thanks

2. johnny1

johnny1 Member

If they price up on the job with you supplying everything...

the price depends entirely on how busy they are, what they think they can get away with, giving a lower quote if they want the job and are not busy.

you might be better using a tiling company and getting a quote per Meter squared as it always works out cheaper and is more likely to be a good job.

Note... there are plenty of **** tillers out there, so chose wisely.

3. Wolf72

Wolf72 New Member

Thanks for that, when you say tiling company what do you mean? I have got a few small independent contractors coming round at the moment.

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

It also depends on what they are tiling onto; wood, concrete etc. Does the floor need levelling first and so on.

I'm only DIY, not trade, but I suspect it's more than a day to do the actual laying, that's after any needed prep work, then back to do the grouting.
    So that's at least full days, possibly 2 folk, so that's 4 days pay at £200... allow for extras and VAT... I wouldn't be surprised if labour came in at the best part of £1k...
    But I'm in London. I suspect cheaper up there...

I repeat, I'm only DIY though!

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

5. johnny1

johnny1 Member

Every single tiling job I have seen done in my area is priced up on what they can get away with, indeed one tiler has a crafty way of being able to charge double and have a waiting list and good reputation despite being very average/to poor. (very clever man)

when I worked out the square meters which is low on kitchen walls and the £300 being charged it worked out at well of double the price per square meter a tiling company was sending its professional out for as they gave a price per square meter.

In other words it was a £150 professional job and £300 was being obtained for it by "local tillers" on there am I busy quote method.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  6. UKspark

UKspark New Member

As stated prices will vary depending on what is being tiled onto/prep required, also the type of tiles being used, slate, porcelain, ceramic etc... When we have used tillers they have charged between £18 and £25 per square meter.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Do people STILL price per metre. Jeez, so many things could, and quite often hold the tiler up......and they earn bog all.

8. Longdogs

Longdogs New Member

If a solicitor could do it, he would only charge £350 per hour :eek:

9. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

I think my sister paid about £40 a Sq metre a couple of years back.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If the floor is flat, and solid, and you are in any way slightly handy, why not have a go yourself? Tiling an ordinary kitchen floor isn't so difficult. (however, if the floor isn't flat, or the base is timber/existing tiles/vynil then best get someone in) Buy a little diamond wheel for cutting, read the instructions on the adhesive, mix it and get the first row in dead straight and level- maybe even drill/plug a straight edge to the floor to get that first row down, but getting the first row down dead straight I have found is the key. Do that and the rest is like assembling lego. Yes, you'll need something to mix the adhesive in and a trowel for spreading, but take your time, plan where the tiles will fit so the cut edges work out and go for it. A small diamond wheel is not expensive, and you can always buy/cadge a few sample tiles from the stores to practice with. Think you'll be surprised how easy it can be. At least with a floor, if the tiles come loose they don't fall off :rolleyes:, but spread that adhesive evenly, bed the tiles down nicely and I'm sure the job will be a good'un. The thing you have as DIY is time - no reason you can't do just as good a job as the pro's, you'll just take a lot longer.

Allow 10% area wastage if its straightforward, 15% if lots of cutting. Also, in an existing kitchen, remove the plinths, tile under the units and then trim the top edges of the plinths if necessary.

Brian_L likes this.