Costing up SHIPLAP / Linear Metre's Question

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by OSBAli, Oct 9, 2017.

1. OSBAli

OSBAli New Member

Hi All,
    Going to ask an incredibly silly question - maybe I have brain freeze or should have paid more attention in maths. I costed up some shiplap however my spreadsheet comes out to a totally different cost to what the supplier sent:
    I am being quoted £1.75 per Linear Metre. Now I thought this to be the same as a standard metre.
    The length of wood required in this example is 3.0.
    On the invoice I have a unit price for this of 4.38 and for the 30 lengths a cost of £131.40
    I cant arrive at that cost, I thought it would be £1.75 *3.0 for the cost of a 3M length (5.25)
    and then * by 30 lengths for a total cost of £157.
    I know my way is more expensive but I am just trying to understand what I have got wrong. I have added/minused VAT but this doesn't get me to the same figures which were quoted.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

£4.38 + VAT = £5.25
    £131.40 + VAT = £157.68

Did they actually charge you the VAT?

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

VAT is 20% so multiply / divide by 1.2

4. OSBAli

OSBAli New Member

and just like that order is restored in the universe. You are absolutely correct. The VAT was throwing me. It was included in the final total, hence I was unable to arrive at the quoted figures. Its makes perfect sense now. Thanks again for that, appreciate it.

KIAB and Dr Bodgit like this.
  5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Active Member

You're right, a linear metre is a standard metre. They have stated that as it might be confused with a square metre - entirely possible with something like shiplap.

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Active Member

...and you have made allowance for the "lap" haven't you? - don't forget you lose a little board width when calculating how many you need.............