Could it be my dimmer switch has blown?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Denn, Dec 8, 2018 at 4:32 PM.

1. Denn

Denn New Member

Whilst painting the ceiling in our bedroom I accidentally caught the light fitting with the ladder, soon after the bulb popped. I tried a new bulb but that wouldn't light up. We have a dimmer switch that has been there since around 1984 without problems, could it be that which has blown. There was always a slight sizzling sound that came from the switch but there is no sound at all.
    I did unscrew the plastic from the ceiling rose but all the wires were connected. Advice please.

Kind regards Denn.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Turn power off at fuse box, remove the dimmer and it's wires, join the wires together either by twisting them together or with a connector block now switch power back on. If the light now works you know it's the dimmer faulty.

3. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

they might look connected but one might of moved a bit just enough not to make a connection have you checked the bulb holder itself for connections.

4. Vin

Vin Member

My guess is that the blowing of the lamp caused a sudden short which could easily damage a dimmer switch.

What type of bulb was it?

5. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Possible that there is a fuse in the dimmer. They are often fitted with small 20mm (3/4") fuses rated at 1 or 3A.

Power off, remove dimmer, and check - if in doubt post a picture.

6. Denn

Denn New Member

Thank you all for the replies they were most helpful.

Considering this dimmer switch had been there for many years I decided to change the switch. I bought a one gang two way and wired the live to common and neutral to the one way. When I returned after putting the power back we had light. I shall have a look around for a dimmer after Xmas. Kind regards Denn.

7. spirits are real 2016

spirits are real 2016 Active Member

the core that you wired to L1 is live return you do not have a neutral at the switch if only two cores and earth are at the switch.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Well-Known Member

Sounds like a filament type bulb was/is fitted for this to happen

Change bulb (lamp) for LED, (save on running costs, save the planet, saves changing the bulb every time it fails), which will also require a new LED compatable dimmer switch

Varilight Pro very good dimmers. SF sell several designs, many more available on line

‘Intelegent’ dimmers with several programmable features, 10 year Guarentee as well so all good

Ask Father Christmas perhaps :)