Council Periodic Check done 2016 - Remedials to be done April 2021????

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Facilitiesmanager, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Facilitiesmanager

Facilitiesmanager New Member

A council that have carried out Electrical 5 year Periodic Inspection checks in 2016 & 2017 have not done any of the remedial works up until now.

I have just joined this company and asked what is going on as I am sure that any remedial works are meant to be carried out within 28 days.

I was given all sorts of excuses.

They say that they will now get a the contractor to go back and complete the remedial works.

My Question to you great people is this.

As the check was done so many moons ago, shouldn't they carry out another check before doing these remedial works, or is it OK to attend 5 years later and expect that there has been no deterioration and simply carry out remedial works and provide me a certificate?

any help will be a big help.

2. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Who says the repairs should be carried out in twenty eight days?

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Where do you live, Scotland, Wales and England all different, is it a rental property? Is it domestic? The new "The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020" note the word Private, "See the definition of “private landlord” in section 122(6) of the Housing and Planning Act 2016." So this new law may not apply to council houses.

Also an EICR has codes LIM and C3 are not fails, and there is some debate as to what falls into the C2 code.

4. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Also note that, as the last inspection was done in 2016, it will probably have been carried out under (now outdated) edition of the regulations. The current version is BS 7671:2018 (the 18th Edition).
    you should therefore have a new inspection carried out to TODAY’s version of the regs. Otherwise more, and different, remedials will be unearthed.

6. Facilitiesmanager

Thank you all.

Its commercial buildings. i apologize for not putting that.

There were 8 C1s - 82 C2s 64 C3s & 27 FIs

Im in England London @MGW

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  7. Facilitiesmanager

Thank you @Comlec for that in relation to 28 days advice. I thought it applied across the board.

8. Facilitiesmanager

@Bazza thank you for that. I will make sure that I inform them of that also. They were not bothered when I brought it to there attention. We will get someone on it they said.

9. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

It going to be a contractual matter.

If the council is renting out commercial units it could presumably get very complicated, if there’s an agreement that an EICR is prepared every five years by the landlord, being the council and the council gets the repairs carried out I think I would start again and get new EICRs carried out as the new EICRs are coming due.