Covering a concrete floor

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BillH, Nov 18, 2017.

1. BillH

BillH Member

Hi,
    I have built a small workshop in my garden. The floor is concrete and I would like to give it a smooth finish and then probably lay lino on it or paint with epoxy.
    Can I screed it with sharp sand ? Cement mix at a ratio of 5:1.
    How thick does it need to be and do I need to prep the floor?
    Needs to be low cost but effective.
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A bonded screed (SBR and SBR screed mix) between 2540mm.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Is there a DPM under the concrete slab ?

If all dry, could cover with green T&G flooring sheets then a couple of coats of floor paint

BillH likes this.
  4. BillH

BillH Member

Yes DPM fitted - I was considering T&G would definitely help to insulate the floor. Does the T&G need to be mounted on any wooden base?
    What do you mean by green T&G flooring sheets?
    Anything here?

5. BillH

BillH Member

Can you explain this further? what is SBR and SBR Screed Mix?

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

SBR is a mortar additive/adhesive agent. The suggestion is to prime the surface of the concrete with SBR then apply a screed containing SBR in the mix. Follow the instructions on the container.

KIAB likes this.
  7. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Put down some kind of underlay,celotex or the felt type used under laminate .Lay t and g chipboard and glue the joints,no other fixings needed.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Bill
    T&G flooring comes as moisture resistant and the stuff I’ve seen is usually green, with a P5 rating - can’t tell you what it means but it’s treated with something to make it ‘moisture resistant’ not waterproof

Also comes not treated but for the slight extra cost and envoironment being used in, go for P5