Covering Hairline Cracks in walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Bucko91, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Bucko91

Bucko91 New Member

Hi all,

Getting ready to paint my ceiling and walls. Ceiling, fire breast and an archway have all been freshly plastered and now dry. The other walls were in pretty good condition minus hairline cracks.

In attempt to avoid filling and sanding every hairline, what is my best plan of attack here since i'm intending on painting straight on the walls? I've been told to mix some PVA into the first coat of paint on the walls but that seems a bit odd, i've also seen a few primer products that claim to cover hairline cracks but really mixed reviews on these

Thanks in advance!

2. Astramax will more than likely advise you on the best method, but steer well clear of the pva, it will only cause you problems.

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I apply mesh I buy in rolls at 1m wide and plaster over the spider web cracks. Only thing you can do is use products like valspar base coat to hide them. Fingers crossed

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Rack out the crack ,ie make it bigger before filling it up. Then sand flat when dry

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sand walls to a smooth finish and hang Wallrock Smooth Fibreliner which will give you as good as or better than a skimmed surface and by so doing will reinforce those hairline cracks at the same time. Smooth Fibreliner is available in 55cm, 750cm and 100cm widths.

6. Bucko91

Bucko91 New Member

I was looking at that stuff for the hallway as that is in worse condition than the living room. Would regular paste work fine with it?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use the ready mixed Wallrock Power Adhesive and paste the wall not the fibre liner, apply the adhesive with a roller

8. Daveyyy

Daveyyy New Member

Just had a look at that fiberliner it really looks the business.