Coving - Labour charge please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by rancid1, Feb 15, 2006.

1. rancid1

rancid1 New Member

How much can I expect to pay to have 25 metres of plaster coving fitted in my L-shaped lounge? I already have the gear in my garage (Gyproc paper covered 127mm coving) so am only interested in labour.
    How long should it take?
    I'm in the North of UK.

Thanks all

2. ive already answered this on uknetguide answerbank for you take a look

3. oh its a 2 man job and shouldnt take not much more than half a day providing everything is prepaired no paper on walls etc

4. rancid1

rancid1 New Member

Thanks for your replies.
    You gave a price of £160.
    I was looking for a second opinion.
    In this way I could determine the average price.
    Once again Thanks you for your time.

5. no probs its just a rough idea without seing the job thats probably the max just get a few quotes cant really go wrong with coving

6. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Do it yourself, it is really easy unless you are are total bafoon or earn so much its easier to get someone else to do

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Well, i've seen some terrible coving jobs.

And, come on, £160 and you want another quote. Lets say its £220, jesus, its £60!

8. handyman you are not obviously not time served in any trade a handyman is what you probably are but can give plenty of bad advice,let me give you some advice stay off the forums plz

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

CCD, can you fit your head in a large pan of boiling water please.

What bad advice did i give?

10. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

'CCD, can you fit your head in a large pan of boiling water please.'

Thats bad advice ;)

11. exactly the guy only asked for a labour charge but he has to come on here & take the p155 so the guy is non the wiser now thanks to his comment

12. handyman.

handyman. New Member

CCD, you have the wrong end of the stick here.

I was putting him off doing the job himself. Thats fair enough.

The other comment about £160. Come on, get yer head out your a*, anything ander £220 is more than reasonable. What are poeple expecting to pay someone for a days labour.

13. yeh i see your point i apologise

14. niton

niton New Member

I would charge 100 quid if the customer supplies. I always put the 3m lengths up myself, just mark down from the ceiling and put in some nails to support one end while you squeese the other end up. Obviously easier with two people.

15. niton where are you based

16. niton

niton New Member

We are in Strathclyde Scotland

17. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

put in some nails

What under the coving into the wall, or through the coving?

I find I can manage anything up to 2.5m by working from the middle, the extra 50cm seems to make the difference!

Get the customer to offer a hand for the odd piece that is that big longer.

Tangoman

18. niton

niton New Member

I measure lets say 83mm from the ceiling and put a pencil line on the wall and this is where i put a nail or a screw in the wall. I usually put one in the middle and one near the end so the cove can rest on it until i push it up. I then take the nails out before i clean off (unless the walls are way off i'll leave in till set)

Im away to get more lemsips........and maybe a wee hot tody!

19. Singhofkent

Singhofkent New Member

I recently quoted a customer £375 for 67m2 of coving, over 5 areas, 3 days of work prep, fit and smooth over any joins, there are so real harash angles involved too

Is £375 a reasonable price?

How much adhesive do you think I need for the job?

I proposed a glue and activator to form the initial stick and use CT1 to bond the coving to the ceiling and wall

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You say you have recently quoted for the job, and you don't know how much adhesive you will need................amazing........

KIAB likes this.