coving on new plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Hants jobber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

i've just had my ceilings skimmed, and want to put up some coving. do i need to seal the ceiling first if so what with. its a plaster cove and i intend to use artex.

2. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Assuming you mean Artex to coat the ceiling, not to fix the cove, then you should fix the cove first (no need to seal the new plaster). Don't forget though to water down your first coat of emulsion before painting the walls and cove

PS My advise would be not to Artex a nice new ceiling. Most people today hate Artex ceilings

3. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

thanks bb i did mean to fix the cove,in your answer do you suggest not to fix cove with artex.

4. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

Other people seem to like using Artex to fix it, but I've always used cove adhesive. (You can use the adhesive to fill any joins, gaps etc)

5. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

BB... I think he wants to know does he need to seal the new plaster prior to fixing the coving up.
    I always seal it first otherwise it can work loose and I always seal it with...... wait for it...

PVA.

6. jcts

jcts Active Member

:^O

7. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

yes that was what i was after, so best to seal first then cove , just the edges where cove going, miss coat the ceiling and cove. thanks

8. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

<u>STOP!!!!</u>

Guttercat's taking the pi55 suggesting PVA, which is what jcts is laughing at (not aimed at you particularly, just some people on these forums reckon PVA is a miracle answer to everything)

Don't bother sealing anything - use a powdered cove adhesive like this straight onto the bare plaster (score it to key the surface if you like):-

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products/plasterboard___accessories/gyproc_decorative_products/gyproc_coveadhesive.aspx

and be aware it goes off really quickly, so precut, number and dry-pin every length before taking it all down and mixing up.

Once everything's set and filled, mist coat the ceiling area and two top coats over everything

P.S. If you have to join 2 lengths of coving together always cut them at 45 degree angles - it hides the joins better

hope this helps

:)

9. jcts

jcts Active Member

excellent answer, jolly

10. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

cheers mate ;)

(...had to cove a lounge a couple of months back with umpteen alcoves and pillars - 20 different wall lengths with 4 longer than 3 metres...reckon I know my coving onions after that little lot, and I'd pay anyone 50 quid if they could spot any joints at all - was well chuffed with the end result...)

11. jcts

jcts Active Member

better you than me mate

12. hoss

hoss New Member

I do the odd new build and the pros do seal the new plaster with pva before coving to give them a bit more working time, which is a pain in the arris cos it stops emulsion from covering in 2 coats , and they do use artex mixed thicker to stick it up with because thats what they will always have in the van.
    Jobber,
    If you are confident you can get the coving up first time without having to adjust it too much then don't seal the plaster,but if you think you might need a bit more working time, seal the ceiling edgers with an emulsion mist coat first, this will also stop the adhesive/artex from drying so quick and give more time to get clean/neat edgers.

13. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

STOP!!!!

Guttercat's taking the pi55 suggesting PVA, which is what jcts is laughing at (not aimed at you particularly, just some people on these forums reckon PVA is a miracle answer to everything)

I stand by everything I said.
    The only problem I ever had was when I didn't use it to seal new plaster for coving.

14. jolly bodger

jolly bodger New Member

Fair enough, my apologies if thats how you do it - I could just see the PVA causing problems with the painting so assumed you weren't serious!

:)

15. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

thanks all for your answers i will seal the edge with pva to be on safe side, but do i apply neat or thin down if thinned how much water do i use.

16. hoss

hoss New Member

Yes thin it down, i think its about 20% water but it will tell you on the container and only pva the plaster to the depth of the coving cos it will be a bugger to cover with emulsion.

17. Hants jobber

Hants jobber New Member

thanks hoss i did note not only to seal where cove going.

18. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

don,t seal it in fact wet it dear henry.