Crack in External garage brickwork showing damp

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pde100, May 15, 2018.

1. pde100

pde100 Member

hello

The 70's built garage which has a garage adjoined to the side of the house has a crack and damp stains which have been there several years. The garage has been converted into a room but the external roof has not been touched. Can anyone tell me how to repair the crack or if it looks like it could be serious? Or what could have caused it?

thanks very much in advance!

Attached Files:

• 1.jpeg
      1.jpeg
      File size:
      134.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpeg
      2.jpeg
      File size:
      134.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpeg
      3.jpeg
      File size:
      153.8 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpeg
      4.jpeg
      File size:
      152.1 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpeg
      5.jpeg
      File size:
      189 KB
      Views:
  2. pde100

pde100 Member

hello

any response would be appreciated

thanks

3. facilities

facilities Guest

pde100, was this not answered when you posted about it in April?

4. pde100

pde100 Member

hello
    I've used the same pics and it is a similar question although it was more about where damp was coming from. Also on that thread I was told the following "

Your best to ask someone else about filling the crack as a separate question I have my own ideas but wouldn't want to lead you astray .post your picture showing crack and surrounding area as a new thread !!! cheers john"

5. pde100

pde100 Member

hello?

6. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Hi I think it was me who advised you to post it as a separate post ,that was for cosmetic reasons about filling the crack . if you're worried about the damp in your room it's more than likely as your roof wasn't touched it may be a lack of insulation ,,whilst you're probably now heating the room it's condensating and causing your mould

7. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Hi, I remember last time now that you always had trouble getting back to me sorry I'm going to have to give up

8. pde100

pde100 Member

hello,

Sorry i check the computer once a day not hourly, I was just after a way of filling in the crack

thanks

9. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

OK understand about slow answer , as I said before I didn't want to lead you astray but will start as nobody else yet. Exterior polyfilla, fill the whole crack , create matching texture of brick and mortar , leave till dry, colour with permanent felt tip pens . when you mix up the polyfilla spread some on a piece of wood to test your colours on , the brick will look better with a base colour and flecks of black

10. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

Where are you getting damp / mould ?

11. pde100

pde100 Member

It's the crack on the outsode brickwork which just has the mould black patches around it? The inside is fine, I think its coming from the pot hanger hooks

12. DIY womble

DIY womble Active Member

OK outside is as I said before, rain splashing from lights, sort that first then clean mould before sorting crack

13. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

Is there a lintel above the opening? If there is then best to try and get matching bricks to replace the cracked ones. The joints where there is cracking can be racked out and re-pointed.

14. pde100

pde100 Member

right thanks, so you think I can drill out the cracked bricks and then re-point them?

15. It must be module properly.

16. pde100

pde100 Member

sorry what does module properly mean?

17. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

Check to see if the is a lintel over the opening first, as picture not clear.

If ok, the drill out damaged bricks and replace.

18. pde100

pde100 Member

not sure how I can check for a lintel, I'll try to have look tonight

thanks

19. pde100

pde100 Member

Sorry to open an old thread, I just wondered if anyone knows if there is a paint or something I can use to protect the bricks from damp? is there something that looks colourless rather than paint so it blends in:

I had a look a look at stormdry masonry protection cream but it seems so expensive?

thanks

20. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member