Cracked stair treads normal or not?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Novice123, Jan 19, 2023.

1. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

We've had a new staircase on a loft conversion for about 6 weeks now and cracks are appearing mainly over the risers. One is right at the front and does bend with normal pressure which im concerned could crack over time. I've been told it's normal with grain expansion/contraction splits. Tge plaster undeneath is also cracking which ive been told ia settlement cracks and nothing to do with the stairs. Would be grateful for opinions.

2. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

Photos

Attached Files:

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

The stairs look like they have suffered rather a lot of abuse over the last six weeks and have not been protected with anything.

I would have expected them to to cover with building paper or polythene with plywood or MDF false treads over the treads. These look like they have just been left unprotected and have possibly had sheets of plasterboard and the like bumped down on them.

Some minor splits are to be expected in softwood boards like this, which is why most stair manufacturers use MDF for the treads and have done so since the 1980’s.

Astramax likes this.
  4. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

They haven't covered them with anything, unsure if the plasterers put down anything when they were working but not likely.

My biggest concern is the front edge snapping off of the worst tread but I've just been told ift is unlikely and if it did then we could ask them to fix it - missing the point really as would rather it wasn't falling apart to begin with!

The whole build has been a shambles with multiple mistakes and carelessness from the outset so really don't want to just trust their opinion.

5. Rosso

Rosso Screwfix Select

If it was one face split on one step, I would think you are worrying too much.
    However, it looks like the stair
    kit has been brought in, having been stored somewhere damp, and been assembled without having a chance to acclimatise. Now it is in your dry house with the heating on, it is drying out and the tension is causing splitting. Poor practice. I would not be a happy customer.

6. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

It was brought on the top of a small van fully assembled in two pieces (straight section and the bottom turn) and then installed straight away. They also didn't follow the architects plans to install with joist hangers from the steel for support and instead it's screwed into the wall one side and the top newel post is (apparently) attached to the beam (it wasn't when first installed but they kept adding more bits of wood underneath).

7. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Architects should not be allowed to design stairs beyond providing a sketch of the expected outcome. I installed some stairs and the NHBC Inspector insisted on a structural engineer’s report to say they would not fall down, the engineer came onto site for ten minutes then charged more than I earnt in a week to write a letter to say they would not fall down.

So don’t be to alarmed if the carpenter strayed from the plan, so long as they look and feel secure.

They look to me as though they may have had a good soaking after installation, that winder kite tread won’t come out easily now everything is in place, if it’s accessible underneath it wants a bit of beefing up from below.

8. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

We had to tell the builder it was creaking the first couple of days. He did come out and put the blocks in so they actually connect with the tread (two didn't) but they've meshed and plastered now so it wouldn't be a quick fix if it did need redoing or it snaps later.

I'm honestly not trying to be a difficult customer I just want to ensure the building work we've paid for stands the test of time

9. Novice123

Novice123 New Member

Also now found that our dropped landing is very "bouncy" and I'm not sure that's normal!

10. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

None of its normal, your ‘builders’ are idiots that are winging it.

Rosso likes this.