Cracked wooden ceiling joist

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jayme2189, Apr 20, 2020.

1. Jayme2189

Jayme2189 Member

Hi all,

Just noticed that one of the joists on my ceiling is cracked.

I've had an RSJ recently installed a 2 weeks ago. Building control haven't inspected it yet.

Wasn't until all ceiling came down we spotted it so can't tell when it happened before or after.

The sister joist on the other side is not cracked.

Just wondering views as a starter?
    Is this a concern when there are 3 sistered beams already?

Likely the RSJ cause this? Or could just be like that from other issues.

Makes sense to sort it now when house is stripped before putting it back together.

Thanks,
    Jamie

Attached Files:

2. Alwaysworking

Alwaysworking Active Member

I think it’s called Shakes, not normally an issue........

Astramax likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Timber shakes are a defined lengthwise separation of the wood along the grain, usually occurring between or through the rings of annual growth.

4. Jayme2189

Jayme2189 Member

Thanks for the advice.

As a follow up. The upstairs ceiling joists are thinner and have connections not resting on any beams. I would like to put some flooring up for storage but am unsure of the strength. This would get worse for drilling in for light cables through them.

The idea is sister the wood where the metal bits connecting the joints are with about 1.5 metre bits of wood and add noggins across all of them.

I'll then lay flooring down but not completely to the edges, add some wooden buffers to stop stuff sliding off the edge. I'll run the cables at the edges over the beams and run up between the joists so no holes.

Is there any major flaws or reasons not to reinforce it this way?

Attached Files:

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thoses are prefranricated trusses so have been designed for the span of the house. So will not usuallt gave a mid loadbearing wall, but rest on the outside walls on house.

If you want to run cables then could batten underneath. Drilling lots of holes in the timbers isnt too good. Or you could plan the electrics so that the runs are locayed along the eaves.

Not sure what the spavings are, but noggings may be a good idea especially when you come round to plaster boatding.

Howard Hindle likes this.
  6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If you plan on doing a loft conversion in future, then look at lowering the ceilings if headroom isnt too high.

Looks like you have got work cut out though with all the other work.

7. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Don’t drill holes in trusses :eek:

Hfs likes this.
  8. Jayme2189

Jayme2189 Member

Thanks

So we'll go with the running cable at the edges/ eaves. And put in Noggins.

There won't be enough room to lower the ceilings. Considered a conversion in future, but would probably have to do a dormer

Also on work decided to take down the slightly damaged honeycomb partitions and put in wooden partitions. Makes more sense than cutting up more for the wires and get something more sturdy for future fittings.

9. Jayme2189

Jayme2189 Member

Dont worry, I may be making some mistakes. But that one at least I could see would be an issue. Going to run cable over the edges. And then up between the trusses.