Crackling socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by hi2u_uk, Nov 10, 2019.

  1. hi2u_uk

    hi2u_uk Member

    Hello All
    My electric kettle has been plugged into the socket permanently for the past 4 years. Yesterday i heard a crackling noise and thought i would investigate . When i unplugged the kettle i found that the bottom right pin (highlighted) was hotter than the other pins and also more rougher.
    In addition there is a brown mark around the bottom right hole in the socket on the wall.

    Whats going on ?
    Is it still safe to use the kettle ?
    Is it stills safe to use this wall socket with the brown mark?

    Its a nice kettle otherwise but im happy to replace it to avoid fire damage or electric shock

    Thanks
     

    Attached Files:

  2. FlyByNight

    FlyByNight Screwfix Select

    No it is not safe - there has been arcing.

    If you are competent, change the plug for a new one. Then plug it in to another socket - do NOT use that one for anything or the same will happen. Then, get the socket replaced - an electrician could do it in 15 minutes plus test time.
     
    Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  3. seneca

    seneca Screwfix Select

    The socket and the plug need changing, (urgently)
     
    Deleted member 11267 likes this.
  4. hi2u_uk

    hi2u_uk Member

    :( just to be clear i need to replace the socket on the wall and the kettle plug . I was thinking of putting in one of those sockets that has usb charging and wifi extension somewhere so i guess this will be a good opportunity but i dont have a spare socket or plug to replace these things with . Dunno what i will do about boiling water now
     
  5. If you cannot be bothered going to a diy shop today, take a plug off something else, put it on the kettle making sure it has a 13 amp fuse and use a different socket.
    Get the faulty socket changed as soon as possible.
     
    seneca likes this.

Share This Page