creaking bath

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dectip, Jul 31, 2004.

1. dectip

dectip New Member

Hi there all you talented "jazz drummers"can anyone tell me how to stop my plastic bath from creaking when i'm standing in it having a shower?
    cheers,
    Dectip.

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Dectip,

Yes, replace it with a steel bath. A plastic bath has a lump of chipboard bonded to the bottom of the bath to give support and the bath often sits in a cradle bolted to the wall incorporating the feet. The bath will flex when you get in it and this flex will move the shell against this framework causing the creak. The shell itself will creak as the fibres in the GRP flex.

You could have a look underneath with someone standing in it and see where it is rubbing and pack it with some spongy foam strips (from packaging) which may help.

Steel baths are very rigid by comparison and although they will move very slightly they do not creak.

DWD

3. bilco

bilco New Member

Hi D

Lose weight ;)

Sometimes the creaking is generated when the bond between the chipboard support and the bath shell fails or it could be the floor under the bath creaking.

You could try placing a bit of 4 x 2 timber under the feet if they sit on chipboard flooring...not so much you can do with the first problem though other than replace the bath with better quality plastic or steel/cast iron