creaky carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cold_in_winter, Nov 14, 2006.

1. cold_in_winter

cold_in_winter New Member

Ok, I know how to fix a creaky floorboard...but i've just spotted one (my fault for not looking earlier) under a new one piece, whole room, carpet. Anyone know how to get the creaky board screwed tight without having to lift the carpet...and preferably without ruining it.

2. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

you can't put a screw through a carpet!

you've gotta lift it, no other way.

3. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Bust out the ceiling from underneath. Fit an angle bracket to the underside of the floor board. Get someone to stand on the board from above and screw the other leg of the bracket to the joist.

Then, repair and re-decorate the ceiling - jobs a good 'en and the carpet is still in-tack.

Jonah

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok i am assuming the question was badly worded;)

assuming the sqeeking is random and all over the floor and you worried about getting you fitted carpet back on the grips

you could do the floor in two halves relaying the first half before tackling the second half

big all

5. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

paul daniels?:)

6. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Sorry - I should refrain from that type of post (my above post) in these forums

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Try to find the joist by tapping with a hammer for example. When you've found one, then use a 2" Oval wire nail(yes, through the carpet) into the floorboard and joist. Punch it down with a suitable sized punch or blunted 4" nail to below the carpet/underlay.

A nail like that won't damage the carpet(and you'll never be able to find it again).

Mr HandyAndy - Really

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

i tend to screw down creaky carpet ;)

its called wood :)

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

handyandy that is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard suggested. yeah just find the joist and bang a 2 inch in have you ever heard of pipes and wires

10. Mr. Handyandy

According to regulations, there should be no pipes or wires within 2 inches of the top of the floorboards.

And I know, you can't guarantee it, but if you are worried, use a detector.

Mr HandyAndy - Really

11. ­

­ New Member

> According to regulations, there should be no pipes or
    wires within 2 inches of the top of the floorboards.

And I know, you can't guarantee it, but if you are
    worried, use a detector.

Mr HandyAndy - Really

Have to go to the hospital now, my sides have split :^O

12. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok my thought on the "alternative repair" method

about 1 nail in 3 or 4 is either going completly cut through the waft and weft [or what ever they are called ;) ] or some fibres into the wood trapping the fibres

so not only is there a chance the carpet may be "nailed" to the floor theres the chance off the pile comming loose in some areas where the crutial threads have been cut!!!!!

13. M.I.G.

M.I.G. New Member

b/a your first idea sounds the best solution to me.

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Please handyandy you obviously have absolutely no experience of real work. Too right you cant guarantee it infact you can guarantee there will be pipes etc notched in the top of the joists. Have you ever actually done any real work or do you just google peoples questions and post the result that you think makes you look the most knowledgeable. Your answer on this is not only incorrect it is downright dangerous. I wouldnt let you loose in my worst enemies house.

15. Mr. Handyandy

goldenboy and others.

Pray tell me how on earth you would secure a floorboard or two(forget the carpet for now) where the original nails were no good ?

No, don't tell me.

I'll tell you. You would take a nail and bang it through the floorboard, next to the nail/s that were failing.

Is that true ? And what guarantee would you have that YOU didn't hit a pipe/cable underneath ?

Please tell me, as I am stupid, obviously.

Mr HandyAndy - Really

16. ­

­ New Member

> goldenboy and others.

Pray tell me how on earth you would secure a
    floorboard or two(forget the carpet for now) where
    the original nails were no good ?

No, don't tell me.

I'll tell you. You would take a nail and bang it
    through the floorboard, next to the nail/s that were
    failing.

Is that true ? And what guarantee would you have that
    YOU didn't hit a pipe/cable underneath ?

Mr HandyAndy - Really

OMG! You really would do it like that wouldn't you!

> Please tell me, as I am stupid, obviously. Mr HandyAndy - Really

Yes, I do believe you are.

17. Mr. Handyandy

still waiting

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

goldenboy and others.

Pray tell me how on earth you would secure a
    floorboard or two(forget the carpet for now) where
    the original nails were no good ?

No, don't tell me.

I'll tell you. You would take a nail and bang it
    through the floorboard, next to the nail/s that were
    failing

Is that true ? And what guarantee would you have that
    YOU didn't hit a pipe/cable underneath ?

Mr HandyAndy - Really

i have had this problem but not for the reason you would expect:D:D:D:D

customer wants laminate layed
    i advise them the 12mm ply isn't ideal as it will flex
    "go ahead" the boards where free anyway
    board a bit loose and sqeeky so i start adding screws beside the old nails [as you do :D:D:D ;) ]

nearly finnished bbbaaaaasssssttttttttaaaaarrrrrdddd smell of gas

turns off the gas removes all the screws prepairs to lever against the coppious amount of nails comes up dead easy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for fcuks sake the cowboy who laid the board had only just flattened the old nails and tacked it in with a few new nails

how lazy can you get to much trouble to remove the nails rather than flatten them!!!!!!!

big all

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

For once I must say you are right and totally correct. Not about your assumption that I would just bang a nail in, in that you are totally wrong. I would never take a chance like that. You are totally correct about your claim to be stupid. So stupid infact that I think people like you shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets. What kind of a cretin says to a customer " course I can whack a bloody great nail straight in with out checking. it'll be ok. I hope" Incidentally next time you attempt this revolutionary method of floor repair try using the correct length of nail for your incorrect method. 50mm are too short to hold a floorboard you want a 64mm. I myself would explain to the customer that i would need to take some boards up to investigate and following that investigation decide upon a correct and SAFE method of solving the problem. Hey but I guess that would take too long for a cash in hand bodging cowboy like yourself

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

just lift the carpet and re-fit, 20 mins work, bung a carpet fitter £20 if you can't do it your self!