creaky carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by cold_in_winter, Nov 14, 2006.

1. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

you know something mate. I same with most people in here hone their skills day in day out in one field getting better and quicker and neater bit by bit always learning. You however are like wannabes who i've worked with before who rock up with their wilko toolbox and their B&Q value and tell me how everyone else does it wrong and theyve had a think about it and it would be better to do it this way. You see whether you work on sites or in houses you do it the way it should be done not the way you reckon it might work. When you work on other peoples property you dont take risks. If I have a run of wardrobes to do I do it the proper way and the way that works. If I am asked to repair a sqeaky floorboard I investigate and make a decision based upon evidence not a hunch because it is someone elses property. Sure you can put a picture up (probably) but leave the real work to profesionals will you. Being a handyman is not a profession. You dont ask any questions on here because you would embarrass yourself. And to say that you dont need to ask questions is typical of bodgers like yous attitude I ask questions all the time of other trades, suppliers etc because why bother cocking things up because you live in a deluded world where you work everything out and probably end up with gas and water running through the same pipes when you can ask someone who knows and they give you an answer. No-one with any credibility on here asks you anything. for example if you need flooring advice you ask audi-evo tiling mudster etc etc. What are people seriously going to ask you how to make the tea or how to sweep up. You are an embarrassment

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

goldenboy. you are typically the kind of person I despise.

Never ready to listen to anything that hasn't been written in your little book called "This is how it has been done for hundreds of years, and it's how it must be done, period, otherwise anyone else who tries it any other way is a fool and a bodger" by I.M.A BULLSHITTER.

Example: When did I ever say that my profession was 'Handyman' ?

Never.

See, you make up your own stories, because you don't listen.

If I say you can put a nail through a carpet, with NO ill consequences, you can.

Well, I can. YOU ? Probably not.

You can't teach a blind man to see.

My intelligence is wasted on people like you.

Please don't waste my time, by trying to belittle what I know.

Just listen, take it in, put it to the back of your mind, and recall it one day when you might just need it.

I've plenty more tips that even in your wildest dreams, you could NEVER have thought of, because of your one-track mind, going nowhere.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

3. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

Look, Handyandy might have some unusual ideas, but at least he gives ideas and thinks latteraly (or even sideways).

His iddeas might not always be sensible, or even work, but his thousand and one ways to use a shovel were certainly entertaining. At least the less feasible ones always promote a response and start a dialoque which is better than the pathetic

"I posted six hours ago, why can't you barstewards give me some answers"

Keep 'em rolling Handy

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

like Measure2cut1 i would like to stand up for Handyandy :D:D:D:D:D

lateral thinking great fantastic i do it my self when an unusual problem surfaces when normal solutions wont [or havent worked]
    with varying success somtimes using more than one idea to find a solution

the only mistake that Handyandy made this time was not fully exhausting the "normal" options first

a lot of improvements over the years have come about by people thinking lateraly and outside off the box

big all

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have nothing against lateral thinking and problem solving trouble is this berk seems to think that doing things in a traditionally correct manner is wrong and his new ways of doing thing half cocked and dangerously and shoddily is better ie any fool who advises someone to bang a nail straight through a carpet without checking is a cretin and anyone who advocates mitring internals is a cowboy.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

oooohhh no that thread about internal mitres

i am only just getting over the therapy after it :D:D:D:D

big all

7. ­

­ New Member

Handy, which way round does plasterboard go?

8. Mr. Handyandy

Handy, which way round does plasterboard go?

Flat side against the wall/batten.

Do you think I'm stupid ?

I, too, laugh when someone complains that they have plastered their board, and the words 'Plaster other side' are bleaching through.

For goldenboy(the one who can't read, can't listen), again, I do not and have not said that any of my tips are better than the 'time honoured acceptable way'.

You just make it up as you go along, whereas, a lot of thought goes into what I say.

I don't just say it willy-nilly. I see a problem, think of a solution, weigh up th pros and cons, and only then will I suggest it.

I NEVER say 'The only way to do it'. NEVER.

Listen. NEVER.

I have weighed up the options of the'putting a nail through a carpet to secure a loose floorboard. I am confident I can do it with no damage to the carpet, the floor, any pipes or cables. If I think there may be cables/ pipes, I will test for them.

No need to get upset because I can do it, and you ain't got the grasp.

Who said scribes/mitres ?

What I said was that you can achieve a good result(as good as any other) if you mitre a corner the way I suggested.

I did NOT say, it's the only way, or the proper way to do it.

I find it quicker, easier and as good a result to mitre internal corners on skirting. If I can do it, and it works, it ain't wrong, is it.

I don't even need to cut perfect angles for internal mitres. Now, you are going to think this a bodge, but it hardly fails me.

I hold a 'square' bit of wood in the corner, and I can see if it is exactly 90°, just over, or just under.

I cut the skirting by hand, and slightly turn the saw +/- the angle I estimate. I bang them in tight. They fit. They stay. They don't open up. They don't move.

Tell me I'm wrong......

Away with ya.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

9. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

see you are all about 'reckon,think,estimate' taking chances with other peoples property about work to a 'reasonable standard. Wheras I am about 'know,measure,exact' taking no chances with other peoples property about work to an exceptional standard. Thats the difference.

10. joesoap

joesoap New Member

Bet anything you like this board or boards were lifet and relaid by a plumber or sparks. Therefore the answer to that one is ....ring me once the carpet has been lifted and I'll come and take a look , not forgetting the call out charge. Regs don't come in to it with some folk .

11. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

my winkle's bigger than all of yours :)

12. Mr. Handyandy

see you are all about 'reckon,think,estimate' taking
    chances with other peoples property about work to a
    'reasonable standard. Wheras I am about
    'know,measure,exact' taking no chances with other
    peoples property about work to an exceptional
    standard. Thats the difference.

Cor, you don't get it at all, do you goldenboy ?

You can paint up and down, or you can paint side to side, and achieve an equal result.

Just 'cause you been paintin' up and down for a million years, don't make it the only way to do it, or the only way to achieve the same(equally high standard) result.

You just can't grasp it, can you ?

Did you pay an extortionately high amount of money to achieve your qualifications, or level of expertise ?

Is it because you now feel you were ripped off, because HandyAndy can do it for nothing ?

Muharharharharhar :):)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

handy you are straying outside your area of expertise EXPECT to get bit on the bum ;) painting left to right OR up and down do not achieve the same result (unless you are a bodger)

you paint in the direction of the light so you dont get visible tram lines, left and right doesnt quite do the job

im now going to stand aside and let the herd of wildebest tread on you a bit

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Does the direction of light not change?
    Through the day natural light across the room through your nice big windows, then at night you may turn on your down or uplighters on!!!!!!

15. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

the tramlines only really show up in daylight

16. see you are all about 'reckon,think,estimate'
    taking
    chances with other peoples property about work to
    a
    'reasonable standard. Wheras I am about
    'know,measure,exact' taking no chances with other
    peoples property about work to an exceptional
    standard. Thats the difference.

Cor, you don't get it at all, do you goldenboy ?

You can paint up and down, or you can paint side to
    side, and achieve an equal result.

Just 'cause you been paintin' up and down for a
    million years, don't make it the only way to do it,
    or the only way to achieve the same(equally high
    standard) result.

You just can't grasp it, can you ?

Did you pay an extortionately high amount of money to
    achieve your qualifications, or level of expertise ?

Is it because you now feel you were ripped off,
    because HandyAndy can do it for nothing ?

Muharharharharhar :):)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

side to side.....

"No, No, No"

Mr. Miyagi says paint up & down, using long motions, Daniel-San!

and another thing

"Wax on, wax off."

"No such thing a bad student, only bad teacher. Teacher say, student do."

;)

17. Stoday

Stoday New Member

Light direction is important.

You must have seen photos of the moon where the craters look like pimples. This is because the light is coming from below as you look at the picture, instead of above. If you turn the poaper round, the effect changes and the craters look like craters.

In a room uplighters are supposed to light the ceiling and the general direction of light is from above. If you want the room to appear weird, light it so the light comes predominantly from below.

18. Awfy Handy

Awfy Handy New Member

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Why would I have paid to learn. i was paid to learn ie an apprenticeship. Also do you really reckon that you do everything that I do without any training. When was the last time you did a sliding sash or made a set of french doors. Tell me all about the last shaker oak wardrobe run you did. Why instead dont you tell me about how you put a picture up or about how you put all the binbags out for the lady down the road all on your own. Face it mate however much you protest about how you do everything without any training secretly you wish instead of getting all your work done to a "reasonable standard" your words not mine you would rather be snowed under with work you excell at. Fact of life mate you are a dangerous bodger otherwise you wouldn't advise people to bang a nail straight thru a carpet without checking or advise sparkies by quoting off a B&Q leaflet

20. Mr. Handyandy

the tramlines only really show up in daylight

What fkin tramlines ? Bodge, bodge, bodge, bodge, bodge.

:(

Mr. HandyAndy - really