Creaky floor/ joist

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Simba_ali, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Simba_ali

Simba_ali Member

Hello,

So i have Abit of a ongoing problem with creaky chipboard floors in a newly built 2016 house .

I have multiple areas where the floor creaks and groans which the builder tried to screw down numerous time.

I don't believe that the issue is all to do with loose screws in the actual chipboard as the creaking comes from the partition wall base plate in one area, a top plate on a partition wall (when walking above) in snother and in a hall where you step off a set of stairs.

I've explained to the builder I believe its flex in the joists causing the problem (which no comment was offered from them) would cross bracing the joists minimize movement and help reduce the problem. I'm no expert and and trying to offer any ideas to the builders to help move this along and hopefully not go down the nhbc route.

Cheers!

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

That's the third different thread you've put up this year asking/stating the exact same thing, what are you expecting any different from the other answers I and others have given you?

3. Simba_ali

Simba_ali Member

I was hoping to get an answer about cross bracing which wasnt relevant at the time of my other posts, plus maybe other people can offer fresh insight?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You bought a new build. :eek:

5. Simba_ali

Simba_ali Member

Yeah I did, stupid decision I know , but it was either accept this new build , pay rediculous rent or be homeless ;)

Overall it's not that bad, the floors like I say are shocking but most fittings are not bad!