Crown Solo still the choice?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by imcalledal, Dec 8, 2009.

1. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

Just thought id ask to see your opinions.
    Going to be glossing a H/S/L and lots of doors over previously glosses wood.

Was going to use Solo as i normally would, but wondered if ive missed a better product.

2. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Matey and me finishing a big staircase on an immaculate house at the mo. It was previously done by him in "Once" a few years ago and he makes a superb job so it's a dream to go over.
    I'm using "Solo" and he's using "Once".
    The "Once" makes a superb job of the 4 panelled doors which were like glass anyway, and sometimes you wont get the brushmarks of "Solo" with it, but overall, I prefer "Solo".

For ease of use, you must crank the heat up as neither of these products likes it cool. Heat is the key.

<u>Solo... Rocks.</u>

3. Heat is the key ??

Sorry guttercat im confused - dont use one coat sh*te as its a poor DIY product in my opinion - however perplexed by the heat comment - you mean the warmer the paint the lower the viscosity ? hence easier to spread ? Does this not have a counter action of the gear going off faster once applied / during application due to the raised temp ?

Not moaning or nit picking - just wondering !

4. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Be not confused, it's simple really.

The colder it is when applying gloss, the thicker it is and is more prone to curtains, obviously. That's why gloss is easier to apply in summer than winter.

I suppose it would dry faster when it's warmer but so what? If you can't paint....you can't paint.
    Take a door casing for instance. If it's nice and warm when you're painting it, then it's far better than if it's freezing.
    Solo and Once don't spread well when it's cold, but they do when it's nice and warm.
    I don't get your problem with the warmth when painting.

Also, you say you don't use it. Don't dismiss something without really knowing much about it. Just because it doesn't say "Trade" on the tin, doesn't make it rubbish.

If you ever learn to use it correctly...
    1... You're in for a shock.
    2... You'll wonder how you ever managed without it.
    3..You'll realise that it really is
    <u>self undercoating</u>
    4..You'll make more money because you no longer blindly undercoat everything just because you were "taught that way".
    5..You'll be amazed at the brilliant finish you can achieve with "Solo" when applied properly.

6...You owe me. ;)

5. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Crown Solo, liquid gold.

Potty.

6. Goodwill

Goodwill Member

IYWAJDP,

If you look upon thixotropic paints as sh*te then you are probably doing yourself a disservice. Such paints have been around for a very long time, well over fifty years.

Most of the thixotropic gloss paints are high quality alkyd and so have the normal properties of an alkyd plus the thixotropic qualities.

Don't just treat these paint as a one coat system. As a suggestion why not give one a trial by say, carrying-out your normal full preparation to a windowboard but finish it in a thixotropic gloss such as Crown Solo or Dulux Once. Tell us what you think of the finish and the ease of application.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Crown Solo....are their other paints!?

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agree with everything mentione by Guttercat, potty and Goodwill, all spot on comments.

9. apl

apl Member

I've used Solo on a few jobs since reading the advice from GC and others on here. I would not hesitate to use it again.

10. OK ! i get it that you guys like the one coat gear :)

Was taught initially to paint with thixotropic paint, but once i got on site / working for designers i never used it again (as the mention of 1 coat got me a laugh and a slap). Have to also say that none of the decorators that i work with use one coat - again maybe thats their (and my) ignorance to a decent product.

Still cant see how its quicker, due to viscosity/ease of spreading - but trust the judgements / opinions of what seem to be experience guys on here. Wonder if anyone has done a direct speed comparison ? I undercoat a flush door in around 6 minutes, 10 for gloss, plus say 5 min rub down with flour paper - so roughly 20 min...

Guess i could achieve a similar finish on a flush door with one coat as i do with trade Gloss (with more brushing out etc), but can DIYers ?

Irrelevant to my work now though really as i very rarely use gloss on an interior, and wouldnt want to cut in tiny glazing bars on a sash with treacle like paint !

11. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

I have to say this was my first time using Solo entirely. I normally use Dulux trade undercoat and gloss products. But ive got to say i am amazed by the finish!!

It smooths out so quickly and the shine really can be like glass - its just one of these things you have to try i guess.

I cant see me using anything else for similar gloss applications in the future.
    (although its becoming rare as Eggshell & Satin seem to be the moment)

And as for the cleanup, bit of a swirl in brush cleaner fluid and it comes right out! Great Product from beginning to end!

12. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

oh, forgot to say. When i first started i used to try and use Dulux Once - this i have to say i found awefull to use - was very thick, it might have been cold?
    Interesting... but i have never used it since, wonder if its changed at all?

13. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Well done al.

"Once" hasn't changed. It can still be hard work.

"Liquid Gold" ;) (Solo] will change the way you do things for the better.

Arise Al....You are re-born. :)

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

[Irrelevant to my work now though really as i very rarely use gloss on an interior, and wouldn't want to cut in tiny glazing bars on a sash with <u>treacle like paint</u> !

Don't compare SOLO to other one coat paints, it's not like treacle at all, it is more like a liquid gloss and a joy to apply.

15. potty painter

potty painter New Member

6 minutes to apply u/c, 10 to apply gloss, and a 5 minute rub down. Crown Solo! The application of u/c & gloss, 10 minutes.

CROWN SOLO!! Liquid gold.

Potty.

16. OK Guys - I guess im gonna have to do a test.

Ive got some spare window boards that i used on my extension - will use 'traditional' system for one , and will use some solo for another.

Q: In bare timber situations do you guys prime undercoat then Solo in order to achieve some body, or just solo onto the primed timber ?

Also do you touch up any filler applied prior to soloing to stop any grinning ? or again is solo man enough to cover ?

Let me know and i'll give it a go and feed back on application rate and finish.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes you will have to prime and undercoat as it's a 1st time on new timber and yes you will also have to spot prime the filler.

So not really an ideal test for 1st time use of SOLO.

18. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Yes, I agree not ideal, however I think that you are in for a very pleasant suprise. Goes on like cream and a finish like glass, dont forget Guttercats advice regarding a warm atmosphere. Crown Solo liquid gold!!

Potty.

19. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

if you want a job done properly...

You're going about it the wrong way.

You have to try and understand that "Solo" is a brilliant 1 coat gloss, especially over existing glosswork in good condition.

I've used it thousands of times, but you have to know what you're doing. If something "needs" undercoating, then it needs undercoating.

As well as heat being the key, you also have to know when to use it and when not to.

I don't really think it's for you.

20. On cold days like these bung your solo tin in a sink with 2 inches of hot water for 10 minutes, loosens it up a treat.

Also while I'm here, masking tape. If it rips and shears off just when you need to mask up loads of carpet edge, 20 seconds in the microwave warms it up nice n lovely, no more shearing off!