Crown Solo still the choice?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by imcalledal, Dec 8, 2009.

1. flonk

flonk New Member

if you want a job done properly...
    dont use cronw solo

2. Lloydy

Lloydy New Member

I'm going to use solo for the first time this weekend. whats the best way to use it? keep reading if applied properly. any secrets tips?

3. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

I'm going to use solo for the first time this weekend. whats the best way to use it? keep reading if applied properly. any secrets tips?

You tell us what you're intending on applying it over, and I/we will tell you, how to or how not to apply it.

4. Lloydy

Lloydy New Member

Hi Guttercat,

Previously glossed skirting and doors, also a new cheap b&q white internal door.

5. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Sugar soap and 400 wet and dry at the same time. Wipe down with a damp clean sponge. Lightly touch up any bare patches and straight on with the "Solo" using a good clean brush.

Your new door: Just a very light rub down with dry 400 (don't take the primer off) ...dust off and apply your liquid gold. ;)

Crank the heating up

6. Lloydy

Lloydy New Member

Cheers Guttercat.

Do you aply plenty on without spreading it much or thin ?

7. potty painter

potty painter New Member

Lloydy.

Dont overload your brush, you will be amazed just how easy Solo is to apply. It goes on like cream, a sheer pleasure to use. And truly is liquid gold!!!!

Let us know how you get on.

Potty.

8. freshtec

freshtec New Member

im not a massive fan of solo and would not pick it over a good quailty standard oil based paint. its a good pick if your in to DIY or dont paint a great deal as its easy to work with.

9. proby

proby Active Member

Never used crown solo so im open minded. Was just wondering if its that creamy to work with whats your thoughts on adding owatrol oil to help it spread.

10. Guttercat

Guttercat New Member

Easy to work with, doesn't make it bad............. it makes it good.  I paint a great deal  cos I'm a pro'  and I use it loads.

No need to add anything to it because it's great anyway.

By the way.............Crown ~Solo self undercoating gloss,  is not  thixotropic.

11. Boolay

Boolay Member

Completely agree with Guttercat & Potty. Use it loads.
    Lovely stuff

12. Puma

Puma Guest

I am completely confused by this thread, yes it does cover well but when I used it on a cheap to let property I found that IT'S GREY, it was so grey I found myself repainting stuff because I thought it needed another coat.

Is Dulux once also GREY

13. Puma

Puma Guest

Thats the Solo Gloss. Is the satin the same?

14. imcalledal

imcalledal Member

How strange. I cant say i have ever found it to be grey! Was that just the one tin you tried?

15. Puma

Puma Guest

No I went through 10 liters on the property. It went on white and then faded back within a couple of days.