Crumbling bricks..

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mrblobby, Mar 19, 2007.

1. mrblobby

mrblobby New Member

On the exterior wall of my victorian terrace house, a few bricks are starting to crumble. I think this is causing some bubbling plaster on the inside walls. What would you suggest i could use to seal the exterior wall before repainting ?

2. a few bricks are starting to crumble.

Can't you dig them out, and replace with bricks of similar texture if your going to paint ?

3. mrblobby

mrblobby New Member

Thks but its not the look of crumbling bricks that particularly bother me, but I think it is causing moisture to penetrate the wall. Do you think just normal exterior paint will prevent moisture getting thru ?

4. I think this is causing some bubbling plaster on the inside

Assuming you dont have a problem with your DPC or other damp problem, you could re-face the few crumbling bricks with mortar using a water proofer before painting. how good is the pointing on that wall ?

5. Thks but its not the look of crumbling bricks that particularly bother me

Might bother me If I come to buy it ! you should always prep, before you paint

6. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Spalling brickwork, more often than not, caused by water freezing in the brick, normally on the soft reds that have been pointed with a cement based pointing mix which traps moisture in (or some other bodge like filling lost facings with a render)

Best to cut out bricks and replace, dont trap moisture in the wall by painting, best off raking out all cement based pointing and repointing in lime based mix, thus letting the wall breathe.

7. So wot you gonny do, mr blobby dig em out, thats what I advised in the first place! or

( some other bodge like filling lost facings with a render)

8. Maybe the brickie can tell me, if the wall can still breathe after two coats of masonry paint, just wondering like

9. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Can the wall still breathe after two coats of masonry paint?

Are you asking me if a paint designed to be waterproof can let a wall breathe?

10. ­

­ New Member

Microporous paint can do this.

11. ­

­ New Member

Air molecules are smaller than water molecules.

12. Yes! because mr blobby asked this =

to seal the exterior wall before repainting ?

13. The Brickie

The Brickie New Member

Still woudnt paint stock bricks, even with a microporous coating, which I didnt know was done in a masonry type paint.

And to answer Mr blank, I would remove all old paint as well (ok I didnt read all of the post :()

14. Microporous paint can do this.

Looks like mr blobby will have to use Microporous masonry paint, to let the wall breathe then, (if he can get it)

15. tph1

tph1 Member

i had exactly the same problem on my victorian terrace house (and so do 50% of the homeowners down my street). All the problems seem to be concentrated on the entrance returns of the front porch - affecting the bottom 6 or so courses. anyway, its not damp from the ground, as they are raised up on steps (with a cellar below), and I doubt it is rain as it is a return (and therefore somewhat protected).

Basically I went out and bought some stabilising solution (from either Travis Perkins or any big BnQ). Will cost you about £15, but it has worked a treat. Remove any loose or flaking brick, then brush clean. Making sure the wall is dry, brush the solution well in, extending a few courses around the problem area. Leave to dry and apply several further coats. It leaves the brickwork rock hard (and with a slightly shiny finish) and has worked a treat for me. (I suppose it is similar to PVA)

16. mrblobby

mrblobby New Member

thanks tph1. sounds like my problem. i'll give it a go.