Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Emraa, Dec 16, 2011.

  1. Emraa

    Emraa New Member

    I am a qualified Carpenter and have been for about 8 years, I have NVQ and served an apprentiship (althoug I have no proof of this). I am employed at the momemnt and want to go self emloyed but need a CSCS card.
    I am confused by which card I need and how I go about doing it. .
    Really need to get this sorted ASAP so any help and a shove in the right direction would be great.

  2. was dunc before

    was dunc before New Member

    I tried getting one, but didn't get anywhere with it.. I got put from pillar to post with a variety of agencies who couldn't agree on what to do. several answerphone messages, emails, were ignored so i gave up.

    But from what most people will tell you it seems like if you get a job with a firm they will simply put you through a basic induction course and you're in.

    Also to be self employed doesn't require a cscs card. you need to register with the tax office as self employed and they will tell you what to do.
  3. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    The OP will need a CSCS card if he want's to become self employed and wants to sub contract on building sites. He may want to consider learning Polish too, as this seems to be one of the first requirements for lots of construction sites (specially darn sarf) ;)
  4. Bazza-spark

    Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

    Hi Emraa

    Here is a link to the CSCS site.

    You should be able to get all  the information you require here.

    Kind regards

  5. Chris Hardy

    Chris Hardy New Member


    The link Bazza gave will get you the info on the card.

    However _ do you need the card to get on the site? or does the site need a Skills card to show you are a carpenter.

    The former can be satisfied with an Operatives card. This just involves the touch screen test and when passed send off money and application and card will come in a few weeks. (depending on time of year) This is the basic and shows you have passed the basic safety test.

    If you require a skills card you will take the same test but need to provide a copy of your NVQ level 2 in carpentry. I've not found an easy way around this. The period of cards under "grandfather rights" has long passed.

    The NVQ can be arranged through any number of orginisations, however the time period to get one is normally 6-9 months (unless someone knows better?)

    Good luck

  6. chippyheath

    chippyheath New Member

    you can a nvq in a day fella through the experienced worker assessment route and its goverment funded if you meet the req critirea. i got mine through super skills in thirs, i also sat my cscs test there, i didnt have to send my nvq certs of as there kept on a data base to say you got them hope this helps fella
  7. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Chippy Heath is quite correct in that the City & Guilds keep all your records. When I applied for my CSCS card, there was no reason for me to send any of my certificates in and my Gold card came back within a few weeks. My card states which qualifications I have on it. ;) (possibly also held on the electronic chip the card has)
  8. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    is this yet another contradicting government smeg up? as i was told while applying for my card that i had to send more money as they had changed the card to a smart card and that they would not be able to accept my city and guilds as they didn't prove that i had done an apprenticeship with a carpentry firm!!!!!
    REALLY? as i remember i could only do the city and guilds because i was sponsored  by a firm! anyways from what i have seen the kids coming on to site with the nvq certs know very little, like can't hang doors without jigs and dunno how to cut roofs, anyways i was amazed to be told that people in my situation have to get a letter of indenture from their old firm!! like hows that gonna work if im 50 or something what are the chances of a building company surviving  that long? so the bloke just nonchalantly said well you will have to do the nvq then! F@%^ off mate stop taking the pi** you are a big fat con give me my f@#$ing card you tw#@ is what i wanted to say but of course that would of been very rude
    now because its taken so long i may have to do the test again??? like im gonna forget that piece of pee test in a few months sorry but this gets right up my ***! especially as i was promised that my c&g certs would last a life time.
  9. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Jeznotts, you've probably done the C&G Advanced Craft Certificate. These records were probably kept as a written record, therefore the C&G should have this info in their archive. Today they rely on computerised records and probably don't want to pay an employeee to spend a few days/weeks searching through a vast archive of paper. If you have your original certificate from all those years ago, they should accept this as proof.
    I remember when I applied for the CSCS card, the person on the phone initially told me that their electronic records only showed me as having NVQ level 2. I told him the dates I had undertaken the level 3 qualification and the college I'd taken it at. A few hours later, they rang me back saying they had managed to find the record (apparently the part of the system with my details had not been updated (almost 20 yrs ago)) (probably kept on a Tape Archive at the time)
  10. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    thanx joiner john!, i still have my c&g certs and  i sent copies of them which is why they said we don't accept them! so you see how the contradictory part of the system shows through! they seemed to have no idea what to do with me!
    what next, my driving license is now no good coz i have had my hair cut? total c#@$!
  11. andy b

    andy b Guest

    Hi All
             The CSCS card is a requirement of trades to work on site. It is the responsibility of the tradesman to sort out his card for his appropriate trade. I have read through a few comments on here and can say that funding is available for diffrent people for various reasons but, it will become more difficult to get onto site without a card as companies are now being fined for allowing people onto site without them. I dont own any company but I do work for a provider as the Assessor so understand your needs. If you would like any help or advice I would be happy to help.
  12. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Andy, almost anyone can get on site these days simply by taking the CSCS test (so simple a child could pass it) Basic labourers CSCS card is enough to get you on site. What jeznotts is on about is the Gold CSCS card, which has details of relevant qualifications. Imagine turning up on site to start as a carpenter, with a CSCS card saying your a site operative?
    He has his original certificates which the CSCS administrators will not accept as proof. Bloody stupid as his certificates would have been issued by the C&G, so the CSCS people either should accept it as proof, or send an employee  into their vast paper archive for a few weeks to search down the proof. Truth is ,, they just can't be ar**d.
  13. Tembo11

    Tembo11 Member

    I've wondered about CSCS cards before for some jobs so thanks for the links ~ overcomplicated I agree
    If I need one I now know I can have a PQP "white card" and just pass the H&S test
  14. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    thanx again jj, i finally got my card with my relevant trade description on the back, but alas it's not gold (like all my credit cards!! ha ha ) but blue! have i been short changed or were you metaphorically speaking?
    cheerz jez!
  15. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Not at all Jezza. I assure you my CSCS card expiring in Jun2015) is gold coloured. I find it very useful for scraping the frost off my car windscreen on cold mornings. (that's about the only use I've ever had for it. ) ;)
    Being as H&S is quite a big part of the NVQ assessments, I personally can't see why they set up this scheme. On most building sites, the gaffer is (or should be) more bothered about the quality and quickness of the work given. Not whether you know where the fire assembly point is, or where the portaloo and canteen is.
    I worked on one site where the foreman, insisted on us wearing hard hats indoors whilst second fixing. The only thing that could have possibly fell on your head was a spot of paint, or perhaps the odd spider or two.
  16. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    yeah i had all that stuff a while back those hats are just well too uncomfortable like the glasses ect, so gold coloured eh, look at you! i have one of them swanky smart chips in mine however, what that has on it i have no idea!
  17. joinerjohn1

    joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

    Yep, mine has the smart chip in it too. I think it contains details on it of your qualifications, and dates obtained. I'm sure I heard somewhere that if you do further related courses, the training organisation can put them on too. (like for instance, if you did an asbestos course, or site machinery course)
  18. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    so i have been short changed then!! I WANT A GOLD CARD TOO!! not fair!
  19. pink tom

    pink tom New Member

  20. jeznotts

    jeznotts Member

    not sure i get you pt, but i'm gonna take it as a compliment!

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice