CSCS Card

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Emraa, Dec 16, 2011.

1. andy b

andy b Guest

Well you are getting your info wrong the foreigners rguardless of nationality do not get given trade cards .... You can get à qualification by fast track its called ewpar... O and by the way if you think us academics dont and cant do the trade then show me your bronze or silver medal for being the best in the country cos i can

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

trades people don't get medals, they do a good job in a reasonable time for a fair amount of money, they walk the walk, not talk the talk,

3. Steviejoiner74

Steviejoiner74 New Member

Correct Tom!

4. Steviejoiner74

Andy b,I've seen dozens of poles on site with these Mickey Mouse cards that cannot speak ANY English and need the designated interpreter to tell them what to do. Safe as can be isnt it....  If you can't speak English how do you pass the exam? The cards these guys have is the dogsbody card btw,no qualification on it apart from the safety test they allegedly passed(were given)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

andy, academic's live in a classroom/office, you're clever yes, but we are the troopers, we are on site ALL day, not just a visitor and we know our livleyhoods are affected by YOU fast tacking low skilled immigrants into a flooded work place, OUR WORK PLACE,

6. andy b

andy b Guest

L'ETA get one thing straight NO ONE GETS à qualification unless they pass the professional discussion in english and the practical test. That is how i work i have refuséd and failed people of all nationalities and refuse to take anyone who cant speak english. It most certainly is not the company i work for. i still work in the trade and in fact i am fitting à roof tomorrow

7. Steviejoiner74

What trade are you qualified in andy b?

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Must be a carpenter Stevie,,, because he's "fitting" a roof tomorrow...... I on the other hand, prefer to "cut" my roofs out of timber stock. ;)

9. andy b

andy b Guest

Using c24 125x50 rafters over 2.5 m spam insulated then 38"50 in line with rafters then 38x50  at 90 degrees to allow for ventilation above the 125 ondulation yes à joiner but i préfer bench Joinery

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why are you using a foreign language keyboard?

11. Steviejoiner74

I Await his reply joinerjohn1!!  He seems to defend the Eastern European masses anyway. We need to be more like the Aussies in the uk,only let people in that can speak the lingo and have a proper skill that benefits our economy and not ruin it!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Not sure how cost effective it is to use spam as an isulator is either, if it was computor spam and it worked to save heat it would be brilliant but I can't see the meatier version working!

13. Steviejoiner74

Andy,unfortunately when you start to describe what you are doing you don't sound like any sort of tradesman at all....

14. andy b

andy b Guest

Sorry auto spell using my phone . Cant seem to find out how to stop it i am not à techy

15. andy b

andy b Guest

I am not defending foreigners u obviously did not read my post on training anyone . Sorry its so difficult using à phone to answer u gents.  I was only trying to help the gent get the right card. I also agree you should not have to pay for your cards or the nvq acheivement . I thought it was cheating wheni was first asked to do the ewpar training but i now agree with it. The intension of the card is to prevent unqualified people taking jobs they should not. I also repeat i will not pass anyone reguardless of nationality who cannot conduct à professional discussion in english and pass the practical test. I have hundreds of people who i have approved and not one that could not proove to me that they are joiners

16. andy b

andy b Guest

Yes it does sound sort of ****.. I hope the last info helps explain. I am not in favour of people of any nationality working as tradesmen and yes in the EWPAR one of the sections is about equality and diversity. the major concern does seem to be the language barrier or the fact that some people have aquired cards that they should not have. They have not got them through the company I work for and absolutely no chance through me. I am english born and bred and would not wish to offend anyone for sticking up for england.. on my computer now so its a tad easier to see and comprehend. I hope this clears things up and once again it was not my intension to offend anyone it was only to help.

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you described yourself earlier as an academic, now a joiner ? you cannot be both there's no such a animal , a tradesman has a spirit level not a A level.

18. joinerjohn1

The thing is though Andy, Eastern Europeans ARE getting on to sites with just the basic CSCS card. (and believe me, they ain't just doing the labouring jobs either) Unscrupulous employers see them as cheap labour. If they know how to use a saw, then they're joiners. If they know how to mix cement, then they're brickies, etc, etc.
        You say the intention of the CSCS card is to prevent unqualified people taking jobs they shouldn't. I did say earlier what the main purpose of the CSCS card scheme is. That's quite simply to raise money for the government and keep yet more administrative people in work. Do you personally think the CSCS card scheme has reduced the accident rates within the construction industry?;)

19. andy b

andy b Guest

Thanks for your comments john you are probably right some may be doing so. If you want to stop them report the company they will then receive a visit which could mean the company can be fined upto 5000 pounds per person without à card . It wont take long for the company to decide its wasted money enploying them

20. joinerjohn1

Thing is Andy, some Eastern Europeans are getting on sites, with the basic CSCS card, but aren't just labouring. This sort of thing is very hard (if not impossible) to stamp out. If someone visits a site, the gaffer can say they're just helping the joiner/brickie etc. Nothing can be proven. The CSCS card scheme wasn't set up to ensure site workers were trained in their skill set. It was set up to supposedly ensure site safety. Everyone suddenly had to have one. Why though? Was I any safer without one?  Are the building sites safer with the CSCS card scheme? Answer to both questions is a resounding NO