CU next to boiler

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pikerray, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

Is there any regulation on minimum distance between new CU and Boiler installation ?

2. owen w

owen w New Member

There is minimum distance from gas appliances and pipework to electric cables and equipment. I believe (and am pretty sure) that cables have to be a minimum of 50mm away, and any equipment or connection has to be 150mm away. I have spoken to many corgi plumbers who have told me they have refused to commission a boiler because the switch fuse isolator has been installed within 150mm. In the real world of course you see cables tied to the pipes.

3. owen w

owen w New Member

the insormation was sent to me from the eca in one of there regular updates

4. fooman

fooman New Member

i would start speaking to other people then owen as they appear to be filling your head with shytt

5. spark rochdale

spark rochdale New Member

its says 150mm in the on site guide

6. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

sparks, what page? i've yet to open mine. I wasnt allowed to take into 17th edition exam.

7. owen w

owen w New Member

thanks sparks - i know i'm right - wasnt 100% sure on distances as dont have my regs book to hand. Certainly remarks from fooman doesnt help anyone.

8. spark rochdale

firt few pages shows a diagram of gas meter 150mm from mains ..... which i didnt know till the other dau

9. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

I havent looked yet,so are we talking mains gas meters away from mains electric supply or a simple switched fused spur from a gas boiler?

10. spark rochdale

a mains unir has to be 150mm from gas ... dont know if it applys to ie switchs spurs etc would have to read into it

11. Sparked_Off

Sparked_Off New Member

Page 18 of the on site guide "Separation of gas installation pipework from other services"

Gas installation pipes must be spaced:
    a) at least 150mm away from electricity meters, controls, electrical switches or sockets, distribution boards
    b) at least 25mm away from electricity cables

(BS 6891:2005Installation of low pressure gas pipework in domestic premises clause 8.16.2)

12. wise uncle

wise uncle New Member

The OP asked if there is a concern with consumer unit next to boiler, not a gas pipe.

13. Sparked_Off

Sparked_Off New Member

Thats all I can find in thr on site book at the mo... Not had chance to look through it fully as yet