Cuprinol Garden Shades

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jitender, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hi

I have some fence panels I want to paint, noticed SF here have a sale on 2x2.5L tins of the Cuprinol Garden Shades:). i will be painting the close board panels in White Daisy color straight onto new treated wood. Was wondering if i could paint the panels using a primer or even masonry paint before I apply the finished colour?

I know DA is a fan of painting exterior wood using masonry paint:)

2. NNNNOOOOOOOOOO! :)

Just read the instructions on the tin - and follow them to the letter.

If it says "Bare timber should be primed using masonry paint", then fair do's.

But it won't.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thanks Dev :)

Yes I know how to paint a fence :D

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Had some real trouble with Cuprinol garden shades a few years ago. The white went cream and then yellow within a few days, the blue used to rub off if you put a hand on it and even faded after a few days of rain.

Ended up replacing it with conventional paint.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

New treated wood will not take any garden shades type paint until it's weathered for at least 3 months, it will fail within 6 months after application as the tanalized solution won't take paint at all well.

Jitender likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The stuff I had was so bad, wouldn't even stay on untreated old pallet wood despite having several coats.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wonder why everywhere has it on offer! o_O:D

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is just another decorating brand where there name doesn't match the quality - Dulux, Leyland etc. Cuprinol used to be one of the better names for timber treatment but now they are the brand you quite often see in discount stores ....