Curing concrete foundation in hot weather

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Damodog, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Damodog

Damodog New Member

I had a 4" thick concrete slab poured yesterday (C30 mix) for my 24m2 garden cabin. It was hot and I probably got a tarpaulin on it a little late in the day before it starting to set.
    There is a very small crack on one side less than a mm wide and runs a few feet. There are no other cracks so I'm not overly concerned. The cabin build will be timber so all the weight will be on the outer edges where I bevelled the compacted scalpings to give me a deeper level of concrete.

It's hot today and will be over the next few days so just wanted some advice on managing the curing process when the sun's out. I've sprayed a light mist of water on it this morning and re covered it but I'm unsure how often I should do this.
    Is once a day good enough or should I do this twice a day until the sun and heat isn't as bad?
    Also I've read it's worth keeping it covered for up to 7 days. Does this sound about right?

2. David Hatim

David Hatim Active Member

The best way to keep your concrete from drying out to
    The best way to stop the concrete drying out to quickly, is to completely cover it with hessian fabric (available from most builders merchants) and then soak it with water, the hessian will keep the concrete damp and cool, re soak every day as required

3. Damodog

Damodog New Member

4. David Hatim

David Hatim Active Member

I guess it would be better than nothing, but the hessian is much thicker and heavier, and so retains the water for quite a long time. I would definitely use hessian, just Google it up or ring builders merchants. I wouldn't be surprised if Screwfix had it , but I haven't checked

5. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Guys, this is the UK. Concrete is used all around the world and is frequently poured at 50 degrees ... a good 20 degrees warmer than we've had anywhere in the UK in the last few days.
    It'll be just fine. Also, it's not as if a heavy house is going up on the slab ... it's a 24m2 garden cabin.

I-Man likes this.
  6. FraserD

FraserD Member

Lived in Australia for 13 years, they pour house slabs on 40c days all the time.

Just a bit warm here at the moment..

rogerk101 likes this.
  7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Your dust sheet will do fine but it (or hessian) will dry out quickly so the best bet is to soak it then cover it with polythene sheet.

Concrete will be much better with decent curing.