Custom oak door defects - to be expected or poor quality?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Cassas00, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

I bought a custom size solid oak door for my under stairs cupboard.

I noticed a few defects

- wood worm flight holes and cuts
    - chunks/gouges/holes
    - little split on a corner
    - some very light filler used - assured will take oil but will it still stand out like a sore thumb?

Images here: https://ibb.co/album/rRP0rg

Basically want to know are these defects typical in oak doors? Am I just being fussy? Or am I right in thinking these defect shouldn't have passed quality control?

2. Kevin Adams

Kevin Adams New Member

Looks totally unacceptable to me but much depends upon how much you paid for it?

3. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

It was £200

4. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

The overall effect makes that totally unacceptable!

Cando

5. Kevin Adams

Kevin Adams New Member

It is well underpriced so I could forgive a lack of 'fine finish' but not the poor base materials and shoddy workmanship - I would say it is unfit for purpose.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

An inexpensive door at £200, nothing that cannot be made good to a satisfactory condition, in the trade the finish is called 'character' and would be charged at a premium! If it suited your brief and requirements it a nice door if not it's can be judged as poor quality. In the right house I'm sure it would look great. :)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  7. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

To be fair the door looks pretty good up and I've given it an oil which had made it look much better, I've agreed a £50 discount with the seller.

Astramax likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Result! ;)

9. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

The trouble is nowadays people are used to machine-made furniture with wafer-thin veneers coated in plastic! When you buy a hand made solid door you should appreciate the character of the wood especially if it is Oak, it will naturally have cracks Knots etc. These are not defects to complain about they are natural features to be enjoyed!

Jord86 and Astramax like this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

At last a fellow craftsman speaks out! ;)

11. Cassas00

Cassas00 Member

I love the character in wood, cracks and knots are great.

I have solid oak worktops, banisters and flooring.

I just didn't expect the flight holes, nicks, chunks, splits and the oil has made the wood darker but the filler has stayed light, wish they asked what colour I was planning to go for so they could have used a darker filler.

But hey ho! Doesn't look half bad after a good oil if I do say so myself

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can disguise the light filler colouring it over with a combination of shades made with Artist Oil paints blending an flogging (softening) into match the grain of the oak. ;)

13. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Within reason!
    I'd say there is too much "Character" in this piece!
    Cando

Kevin Adams likes this.