Customer price query

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Befair, Sep 11, 2021.

1. Befair

Befair Member

Sorry for such a simple question but would like a rough idea.

Changing kitchen light fitting to existing connection. South Lakes how much should it cost ?

2. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

If you supply the new fitting, id charge £25/£30 ish.

Big company might be a bit more.

Befair likes this.
  3. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks for prompt reply. Appreciate you helping someone who could have been overcharged.

4. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

5. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

£25/£30 ish.
    If local.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Befair likes this.
  6. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

You are a generous man Ind, I'd be at £75.00, you've got to get there, get back, write up a MWC, maybe used a JB or handfull of WAGO's pay tax off it, that gives me £40

I recently did a basic white pendant for a lovely old dear, I charged her £50, she wouldn't let me leave without £100, turned out she'd run a successful business for years and felt I was pricing too low!

What were you told OP?

Fusebox Wales likes this.
  7. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

Probably is a bit cheap but you could be done in 15 min then again could be a pain suppose.

If someone pays you £30 cash do you put it through the books?
    I always do just asking for a friend.

Jimbo, Jord86 and Sparkielev like this.
  8. Befair

Befair Member

Thanks for developing comments. I was quoted £30 by a reputable tradesman who lived about 45 minutes away. I realise all the additional costs but if you can plan small jobs around your commitments involving travel then those costs can be reduced.

In all other ways a law abiding citizen I am happy to have smaller jobs cash in hand. Just been reading about Amazon tax affairs. So much tax money is wasted, for example, on being able to blow the world up a few times.

I had a successful academic career and hold good tradesmen in high esteem. They should have fair financial recognition. I couldn't do their work.

9. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

That's very cheap for an hour and a half round trip, but like you said if he's over your way anyway not a problem.

Befair likes this.
  10. Befair

Befair Member

I have many traditional views. One is a fair days work for a fair days pay. I have always tried to treat people with respect. Sadly, both trade and customer, there is a minority who have no principles.
    I value forums like this where information can be shared. I appreciate people sharing their knowledge and experience for no personal gain. You can see over time which posters are genuine. I was happy with the quote but wanted to be better informed. Knowing if a quote is high or low can be helpful.

11. Fusebox Wales

Fusebox Wales Member

I once paid a structural engineer £500 to look at an RSJ and fill in a one page document to say it was ok. He didn't supply any parts or even use a tool.
    With the cost of training, annual registration, test equipment, tools, vehicle maintenance, insurance, banking fees, advertising and every other overhead, electricians should be charging somewhere between £80 - £100 per hour.

https://www.fuseboxwales.net

12. Ind spark

Ind spark Active Member

I know your right with what your saying but I couldn't charge £100 an hour, id have no work.

13. Befair

Befair Member

Sorry but I agree with Ind spark. It would lead to an increase in dangerous bodged d.i.y.
    I know I am not competent, not sure about everybody.
    We need a fairer society. Some ways to improve conditions for electricians : Training should be free, annual registration should be free, less profit for bank shareholders etc.
    Of course I hear, how can it be paid for ?

Tax the rich. Good three word slogan.

Apologies for going off the thread but I believe we should work for a just society.

14. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Remember installing a light fitting as a favour some 30yrs ago. Reason was i felt empathy for the person i was doing the install for.

He was a neighbour who had recently lost his wife, and had a young son.

After completing the install he asked how much he owed?

I said no charge. He said he was grateful and thanked me.

Whilst chatting i noticed a rusting bicycle in the garden. I asked if the bicycle was still used? He replied no, it’s got a buckled front wheel and a puncture! Then he added, “You can have it for 30 quid”.

Thought he was joking, sadly not.

Valuable lesson learned.

15. Befair

Befair Member

Might be trite of me but I believe you got good karma. You were kind and considerate :he was.........but perhaps needed money and personally struggling to cope with his sad loss. Regrettable, but I bet you were still thoughtful of others.
    Good to read of good actions.

16. Befair

Befair Member

Just had a second quote from biggest firm in area, £30. Seems to be average price.
    My local well equipped, reputable garage charges £45 an hour. Appears comparable charging to me.