Cut rafter woes!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by WildKernow, May 24, 2021.

Tags:
  1. WildKernow

WildKernow New Member

We had a roofer fit a couple of vent slates whilst they were replacing a chimney pot as well a a vent for an extractor fan in January. A couple of days ago part of the bathroom ceiling came down due to a leak from the fitting of the vent. When it was fitted the guy said that he had had to cut a rafter to fit the vent, but this wasn't an issue. Is that right?

Seems like the roof would be built with the right number of rafters and that if one was cut it would have to be reinforced in some way. They'll be coming out to deal with the leak, do I need to get them to do something about the rafter also? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

It wasn't an issue for him as its not his house but why do you think the spacing between rafters is actually specified in building regs, Although the structural integrity of the roof will not have been compromised to the extent of collapse ( well not until you get that 2ft of snow loading its designed to take) its not for him to pass himself off a structural engineer, make the clown make good.

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    Jord86 and TangerineDream like this.
  3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That wasn't a roofer!!!

TangerineDream likes this.
  4. WildKernow

WildKernow New Member

Thanks, guess that settles it!

5. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

i really am left wondering who thought cutting that rafter like that was a good idea. not least because it would have taken minimal work to sister that on the right hand side

TangerineDream likes this.
  6. WildKernow

WildKernow New Member

You would think that - but during all of the work not once did any of them bother to come inside the house, let alone in the loft. Too much work I guess!