Cutting 35mm hinge cut outs?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by two by one, Apr 23, 2008.

1. two by one

two by one New Member

Making cabinets/wardrobes on site I always cut these with a drill. Any quicker, better way of doing it? I had considered making a template for the router.

2. Bonzo

Bonzo New Member

3. !!

!! Active Member

My worktop jig as a template on it but I use a drill

4. handcraft

handcraft New Member

use a drill and a forstner perfect just be careful on gullwing doors

lee

5. Mr Mike

Mr Mike New Member

I mark centre with a centre punch & plunge with router using a wealden tools 35mm cutter.....takes seconds....

....and the mouth full of mdf is just a little breakfast bonus....;)

6. murrmac

murrmac Member

I am somewhat mystified, don't most doors come predrilled ?

And if you are making your own, obviously you have a workshop, so you would drill them in the workshop.

I would never contemplate doing this job on site, I do it in the workshop using a pedestal drill, and a fence clamped to give the correct offset.

7. two by one

two by one New Member

My "workshop" is an offcut on saw horses, I use a punch and a cordless drill with a 35mm cutter at 22mm from the edge, usually 100mm down from the ends.

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

do all mine on site. normal in a loft conversion or under the stairs etc in plain mdf

9. chippy mike

chippy mike New Member

trend make a blumb hinge cutter for the router for £30 worth it if you got loads todo on site in my opinion.

10. handcraft

handcraft New Member

i i have an air powered machine that cuts botch hinge holes out at the same time and also pilots the screws holes but on site i still use a forftner i.e for intergrated wahing machines

lee

102.5 from top or bottom and 22mm in

11. murrmac

murrmac Member

nitpicking, I know, but I have found that 21 mm backset works better than 22 mm, at least for the hinges I use , which are invariably Screwfix' s cheapest Salice hinges, a bargain at just over £ 1.00 a pair if you buy ten or more.

12. handcraft

handcraft New Member

some times depends on the door style or hinge style

so not really nitpicking

lee

13. two by one

two by one New Member

I always use Blum hinges from a local merchant but had wondered about the quality of the Screwfix ones...

14. Bedroom Fitter

Bedroom Fitter New Member

I use a trend 35mm cutter in my router, which works well on site with dust extraction.
    Does anyone know if trend still make a hinge cutter specifically for a router, they all say they are for pillar drills only, including the one I'm currently using in my router.

15. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

I use a trend 35mm cutter in my router, which works
    well on site with dust extraction.
    Does anyone know if trend still make a hinge cutter
    specifically for a router, they all say they are for
    pillar drills only, including the one I'm currently
    using in my router.

Thought I should maybe be the one to answer this one:

click here to find the range of router hinge bits,

http://www.trend-uk.com/en/UK/productlist/4/137/Router%20Hinge%20Bits.html

Please do not use any tooling in your router that is not specifically designed to be used in a router.

A drill would generally operate at 3000 rpm, whereas a router could be 30,000 rpm. You are taking a substantial risk !

HTH

andy@trend

16. Bedroom Fitter

Bedroom Fitter New Member

Thanks for the quick response Andy, I'll order mine today.