Cutting a 100mm diameter hole in a 30mm granite worktop

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by rogerk101, Apr 7, 2021.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I inherited a 30mm thick granite worktop and need to cut a 100mm diameter hole in it.
    The hole doesn't have to be pretty, as it will be covered completely by a Belfast-like sink.
    I'm probably going to have to buy/rent a 100mm diameter diamond hole cutter, but was wondering if:
    • I could get away with drilling a ring of smaller holes and knocking out the centre
    • I could make the hole once the worktop is fully installed
    • what the likelihood is of cocking it up, e.g. cracking the slab
    I've watched a few YouTube videos on doing this and they all look reasonably straight forward, but I'm sure you kitchen fitting pros out there would have some great tips/suggestions/warnings/etc.

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Search Amazon for diamond hole saws, this type.. 20210407_193534.jpg
    work great in granite/porcelain.
    Never done a 100, but did a couple of 76mm holes in 20mm granite slabs a few months ago and they only took a few minutes each. Just make sure to keep them well watered.

rogerk101 likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Thanks. I've seen them using angle grinders and other using drills. Do the drill ones turn fast enough?

4. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

A decent combi drill works just fine, the bits have a thin wall ( 1.5mm or so) and tackle granite with ease.
    I have several - more expensive - diamond hole saws that I haven't used for years because these 'cheap as chips' ones do the job much faster.
    The 76mm saw I used on the granite slabs had previously been used to drill 7 other holes in porcelain tiles IIRC and is still going strong.

rogerk101 likes this.