Cutting a post Formed worktop edge off.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by dddannn, Dec 2, 2019 at 5:30 PM.

1. dddannn

dddannn New Member

Fitting a kitchen at the moment and the kitchen designer wants me to cut the worktop down to allow access to the door.

Worktop has a post-form edge Post formed.png
    I did ask the designer how to go about this but he accused me of not being a proper fitter :)

Any ideas on the best way to achieve this? i just assume glueing an edging strip on the cut edge will look pretty **** where it joins up to the bullnose.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Well-Known Member

Laminate worktop? Just cut it straight, add a finishing trim like you would to and end cut and trim it carefully to match the profile.

3. dddannn

dddannn New Member

Yeah, laminate. Would it not look a bit **** where the bullnose meets the new straight cut?

4. jonathanc

jonathanc Active Member

It won’t look great but that is a design issue. Kitchen designer should have discussed with client first

5. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

As long as you can do a 45 degree cut to allow the door to open, it will look fine. Anything much shallower though will look awful. Since when does a designer have a say in how a kitchen fitter goes about fitting a kitchen ? If the designer needs a much shallower angle, he/she should of sold a PVC edged worktop/Arcylic or solid timber.

6. Mblack

Mblack Member

C227D11D-C18E-453A-A065-A1F742062EDA.jpeg Or you could cut and rejoin the worktop whereby you’d keep the post formed edge.

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Well-Known Member

Doing this results in a very sharp corner point at the postformed edge. Because it is so sharp, it's almost certainly going to be the first thing that takes a hit and will end up chipped or broken away. It won't be the designer/salesman that will be called back though.....................yep, it will be the fitter.

8. spen123

spen123 Active Member

It will.look **** but that's not your problem.
    I'd explain to the client and possibly see if they would prefer square edge.