Cutting doors to fit carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by upsticks, Feb 12, 2005.

1. upsticks

upsticks Member

Total novice here in need of some advice. I have 4 doors that need shortening so that new carpet & underlay can be fitted underneath. I have asked many carpet fitters and none of them are willing to do this as part of the laying job. If I was to try to do it myself what would be the easiest way? Can it be done somehow without taking the doors off their hinges? (I have a feeling they will be hard to shift). If I asked a carpenter to do it any idea how much he/she should charge and are they likely to be interested in taking on such a small job. All help & advice much appriciated.

Upsticks.

2. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Ups,

Well carpet fitters never get involved unless they have to. It depends on what type of door you have because if you have the standard hollow panel doors then you have not got much to play with at the bottom as the frame of the door is less than 25mm thick all round. If they are solid doors then it is a little easier but the doors have to come off to do them.

Come back with the type of door and what tools you have and we will try to put you straight.

DWD

3. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

You can hire out door cutters that can cut in situ.

4. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

u can get a karlton door trimmer 4 £230, or just use a bicky trimmer 4 a few doors,used 2 do a load of this work 4 carpet firms,then never got much more work,after the karlton :(
    any way still nice an shiney :)

5. panlid

panlid New Member

**** off bodget, a buscuit jointer.lol. i normally charge about £10 a door and do small jobs like this on the way home at night. 4 doors should take about an hour to do. if doing yourself buy a cheap planer about £30. plane from edges inwards so you dont splinter edges.

6. britishblue

britishblue New Member

SID, he will have to take the doors off to plane them, which is something he didn't want to do.

BB

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Biscuit jointers are often used to take a little off door bottoms.
    They can also be used to trim a bit off the bottom of skirting boards when laying laminate floors so the flooring goes under the skirting thereby hiding the expansion gap.

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo sid why the sceptisism about the bicky joiner!!!!!!!!!!!!
    does a briliant job laminate floors so the only diffrence is packing on the floor to match the thickness of the carpet and underlay al you need do is finnish the last inch or two with a handsaw

again if the door is in situ

big all

9. panlid

panlid New Member

with the carpet down? ide t* someone if the attacked my doors like that. ive no doubt it does the job but i bet it looks ** its different for skirting as jointer is on flat solid floor so you will get a flat uniform cut, but on doors with carpet down. if carpet is not down maybe.

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

10. panlid

panlid New Member

jesus i bet you are all southern lazy b****s, cant even be bothered taking door off....

11. panlid

panlid New Member

i have bosch cordless planer. i bet before you even get set up and start i have got door off, planed and back on....

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I've never used a biscuit jointer, but from what I've seen of the blades, aren't they a bit rip-saw-like ?
    I haven't seen biscuit blades with more than about 6
    teeth. Wouldn 't these rip the door apart ?

Handyandy - really

13. upsticks

upsticks Member

OP here. The only reason I don't want to take the doors off is because I have a feeling the screws will be ***** to move + they have only just been painted. Unfortunately the doors are the awful hollow ones. The tools I have are 1. Circular saw (which I hate using) 2. Long bladed rough toothed electric saw. Spending loads on new tools isn't an option. What about trying to cut it with a hand saw, would that be likely to work?

Upsticks.

14. D.E.B.S

D.E.B.S New Member

you would still have to take the door off though. don't you know anyone with a planer ?why do you live ? if you live in leicester and dont want to pay anyone to do it i will let you use mine for a day ;)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

why do you live ?

Funny question!!!!;)

Handyandy - really

16. panlid

panlid New Member

handt andy at last we agree on something. i think these guys might work for the council or something. upsticks just get an old screwdriver and knock paint out of slots. then its just abit of elbow grease. the main problem diyers have taking old screw out is that they dont put enough force behind it and the driver pops out and wears the edge of screw. concentrate your force into bursts pushing on as hard as you can for maybe 2 seconds whilsts at the same time turning. iv never had 1 beat me yet. though i think your using this as an exuse and are really being a lazy b***d.

17. D.E.B.S

D.E.B.S New Member

u no wat i meen ;)

18. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Also you can try knocking the pins out of the hinges.
    If the doors are hollow then they cant be that old, I reckon you'll be able to get the screws out no probs.

19. upsticks

upsticks Member

I'm not being a lazy ****** just thought that if there was an easier way to do it without taking off the doors (a decorator friend said he had seen it done using a router clamped to the door somehow) then better to use brains (all yours on here) than brawn.

As to the ? of why I live...... well its becasue I haven't stopped breathing yet.

Upsticks.

20. D.E.B.S

D.E.B.S New Member

i ment where