Cutting doors to fit carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by upsticks, Feb 12, 2005.

1. panlid

panlid New Member

like father like son;-)

2. panlid

panlid New Member

yes dewy but i bet its got more teeth. dont tell me your a lazy b***d too ;)

[Edited by: Forum Moderator]

3. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

so wats the best way 2 get the screws out of the flapped bits of metal,some times 3 on a door?

only joking,lets put this baby 2 bed ;)

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I have just finished a job today where I had to rent a door trimmer!!!

It was a old cottage and the doors were on with t hinges fixed to front facing x 7. The lady had the hole place painted and didnt want to 'break' the paint. It also had lots of coats on it (no screw heads seen)

I must admit it.............its very good. If I had £250 spare I would get one. But, I will now give it as an option to customers. £30 rental plus time to go get it!.

5. bonnie the botch

bonnie the botch New Member

hi handy did it get right in to the inner edge, or do you have to faf about a bit , reason being never used one before always whip door off .

6. handyman.

handyman. New Member

BTB, its a great bit of tooling.

The blade is on a slide, so you just set the depth slightly more than door thickness. You then just run it along the door. keep you eye on it as you reach the hinged end.

All floors were bare, so to get height I sat machine on a piece or underlay and carpet. The blade is set a further 3mm above this height.

Easy. Get one if you need one, its the dogs. Just suprised theres not a cheap version.....yet.

7. Dewy

Dewy New Member

A lady friend had moved into a new house and had carpets fitted which made the door impossible to move.
    As a favour I removed the door and started cutting 1/4" or so off the bottom.
    The blasted door had the bottom rail nailed on.
    A 'quick, easy job' ended taking hours and blunted my tools.
    Never again.....

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i have a flooring company and was so sick of people needing doors trimmed i spent £500 on two door trimmers and two power planers for the carpet fitters to keep in the vans.
    I thought as i had made such an investment it would be reasonable to try to recover some of my money so i decided to charge £10 to cut the first door and £7 for each extra door.
    Will the customers pay? will they b***x! they expect me to do it for free.

[Edited by: admin4]

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I'll take one off your hands.......£50?

:)

10. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

yeah ok, tell u what seeing as your giving me a whole fifty english pounds i'll throw the other one in for free
    it's my BOGOF offer!

11. handyman.

handyman. New Member

12. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

they cost £235 each +vat
    Not for sale as i know the first day we don't have them we will need them

13. handyman.

handyman. New Member

I know......hence £55. So how come BnQ dont make a cheapy version?? I guess it would be popular.

14. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

have u seen them?
    they are little more than a cicular saw on it's side with a fancy sole plate
    no way are they woth £235
    but like i say i was sick of people asking for my carpet fitters to cut doors, this way i can offer the service knowing full well the customers are too tight to pay but it gets me off the hook, it's a job i can do without.

15. handyman.

handyman. New Member

AE said "have u seen them?"

Mmmmmmmmm have a look at my previous posts!!

16. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

take it u like power tools.
    if you do buy a door cutter the ones with the spacers to adjust the hight are the better, the ones you adjust the spring have to be set pretty much spot on or they jump along the bottom of the door and chew it up a bit.
    I too have been looking at tools from USA and might buy a dewalt 18v drill/driver/circular and jig saw almost half the price of uk.

17. Mof

Mof Guest

Just listen to Sid and TAKE THE DOOR OFF it only takes a few minutes Ive done loads and loads.

18. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

unless it has 23 coats of gloss paint on since 1962

19. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Mof, if you look at my previous posts on this thread, then you will see I felt the same way, till I <u>had</u> to use one.

No option, the customer wanted it done this way and was willing to pay for the rental/time to get it. I learned something new and she got what she wanted.

20. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

how much do u all get for cutting a door?
    everyone calls carpet fitters for not cutting doors but that is because customers expect us to do it for free.
    if i cut 4 doors on a top landing i only chatge £30 for the lot and the customers think i'm robbing them, they think it is part of my job when fitting the carpet.