Cutting doors to fit carpet

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by upsticks, Feb 12, 2005.

1. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

When I had my carpet done recently the guy just took the doors off, he left one on but it was so close to the carpet you couldn't move it. I planed them myself and put them back, he didn't even offer to cut them !

2. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

You must have looked like you could do it yourself!

3. panlid

panlid New Member

carpet fitters never do them. i love doing them at end of days. £10 a door. did 9 of them the other evening on way home. started at 5.30 finished at 6.30 and apprentice packed up! easy peasy lemon squeezy:D
    all towards my retirement fund...

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

the problem is we charge £2 per m2 to fit a carpet so if your bedroom is 4mx4m thats £32 for that i have to underlay gripper fit the carpet and door strip.
    To make a decent living i have to do all that in 30 mins and off to the next job, i aint got time to cut your door if you won't pay!

5. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

woah sid i do them, i just want paid!

6. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Noggin,

I reckon the carpet guy saw my cordless planer on my belt loop!

7. panlid

panlid New Member

woah audi!!! i wasnt slagging you off!. im thanking you for my pension:D
    seriously if i were you for that money i wouldnt do them. round here no one expects cp to do them anymore anyway.

8. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

it's weird though you can get £90 no problem but i can't get half of that without a fight for the same job.
    Some people think for their £32 i have to remove all the furniture lift old carpets and underlay, fit the new carpets cut the door put all the furniture back and take the old carpet to the tip!
    Oh and god forbid i scuff the soft blown vinyl wallpaper thats been on for about 20 mins, i'll have to give them a grand to get lawrence whats his face to come redecorate for them!

9. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

SID,

Hows the new apprentice doing?

Can he keep away from the lady clients underware drawers?

10. panlid

panlid New Member

lol he doesnt go anywhere near them.. thats my job:D
    i had a good chat with him last week as he turned up 3 days on trot looking like hed been up all night and with an attitude. on 3rd day i made him shift a pile of rubble twenty metres down bottom of the drive and then made him move it back again. then i made him brush up all day and didnt teach him anything, then i told him if he carries on that is all his job will become, and that i dont give a **** if he walks as i get app. 5 letters a week from lads wanting a job. since then he has been excellent.

audi i think you are spoiling them. round here if having carpet fitted you clear the room and remove your own carpet. in fact i was getting peed of when going to do lam. floors as they always have it up for cp but not for joiners doing floors. now i always tell them to get rid of carpet and underlay and gripstrips or i will charge,and anything left in room is left there for us to move at their own risk.

[Edited by: admin4]

11. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

i do laminate/wood etc too but i find it's usually the other way round, if i'm fitting wood the rooms are nearly always clear but when i fit carpet they are full.
    And lino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't even wanna talk about that, cookers, fridges, freezers, dishwashers, "do you take all the plinths off?" DO I B**X i can cut straight!

[Edited by: admin4]

12. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

Sorry for this its way off topic but!!!

I wet to inspect a job in progress today it was a fairly straight forward job in a social services office.

The brief was to remove a partition forming an old store room to create more office space, wire four new sockets a basic redec and fit a new carpet, in the corner was a small kitchen area that had to be left alone.

The job has gone fine until the carpet needs laying, the very well (probably degree educated social workers) have decided that during the alterations the filing cabinets were now too near to the backs of their chairs and they will now have to all work from home.

(Imagine this 4 chairs and desks set facing the center spot of a football pitch and a few filing cabinets on the line of center circle. It would never occur to them to physically move the offending obstacles outside this circle).

Oh no too simple they must now up sticks "much to their inconvenience" whilst the carpet fitter moves all this **** around files and all.

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.

13. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

see what we have to put up with, should have cut round the cabinets!

14. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

PS...

The two unshaven caretakers (called Gary and Kevin)complete with walkie talkies, big bunches of keys, mobile phones and beer bellies etc could not move anything because of manual handling regs and the filing cabinets may contain confidential info.

DOH! silly me.

15. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

but it's ok for carpet fitters coz we can't read anyway

16. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

AE,

U R a Meen man

17. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

actually 2 of my staff have degrees!
    one fitter one salesman
    economics and maths!

18. NOGGIN

NOGGIN New Member

Tell them to pack up and be social workers, tucking chavs into bed at night. The pays not as good but they will get fat!!