Cutting down kitchen unit doors

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by saundes3, Oct 12, 2017.

1. saundes3

saundes3 New Member

Hi I was pretty sure you can cut down kitchen units and it not notice but what about the doors, the wood, chipboard, etc. whatever they're made of presumably is going to show at the top/bottom edge? Are there any ways around this? I'm fitting Howdens 720mm wall units with half height wall units directly above, but the half height units are slightly too tall.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Not quite sure what you're trying to achieve, but rather than cut doors down, could you not just put another thickness of material on the top of the upper cabinet, flush to the front.

How much do you need to cut the dirs down?

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Howdens cabinets aren't the easiest to cut down either as they're preassembled. Better with a flat pack as you can remake the holes for the assembly hardware.

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Would say the biggest deciding factor here is the actual door itself - style and finish ?

ie, if vinyl wrapped, then no

If a flat, slab type door, gloss finish, then guess so, cut edge towards ceiling, seal cut edge to prevent moisture penetrating. Just have to be mega careful no chipping when cutting

Dunno for sure, only diy :)

Is this for yourself or a customer ?

5. WillyEckerslike

I have managed to get two doors out of one exactly as you describe Dave. The top (larger piece) was used as the front of a hood unit and the smaller piece below the oven. Cut edges to top and bottom respectively. Gloss slab.

6. saundes3

saundes3 New Member

The missus wants wall units all the way to the ceiling, our ceiling height is 2550mm. Was going to have 720mm wall unit with 360mm above all the way around the kitchen, which works, but it's above the larder and oven full height units is the problem. I can't get 360mm units above the 2112mm full height units without there being a gap at ceiling level. If I go for extra tall units at 2252 (or there abouts) then it works out too high with the 360mm unit above (so I'd have to cut down).

The other idea (as I think you're saying) is to move the other 720mm wall units (with 360mm half height units above) down slightly in line with the full height units with half height units above, and then fit plinth/end panel material on top of the half height units to close up to ceiling level.

Hope that makes sense, I had to read it a few times myself.

7. WillyEckerslike

I'm not quite sure that's what CGN was getting at but what you describe sounds like a perfect solution - so long as the clerk of works is content of course.

CGN likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

As long as the boss is happy...job done! ;;;)

9. saundes3

saundes3 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I must dash as the clerk of works is calling me ;)