Cutting Down the Draught Under an "External" Door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by DufferDIY, Dec 6, 2017.

1. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

It has been brought to my attention that our front door is "naff" and is to be replaced. SWMBO has spoken therefore it has been added to the list.

Existing door frame is to stay.

Now when I say "front door", I mean the old front door. It's now the door between the unheated, draughty but water tight porch and the rest of the house. It's old school rebate-in-the-bottom-of-the-door-to-accept-raised-metal-threshold-strip type of thing, and naturally some air finds it's way around it. Strip is ~6.5mm wide and stands ~14mm high and is probably as deep again embedded in the wood.

Threshold.jpg

I've looked at some of the threshold sills like https://www.stormguard.co.uk/product-category/inward-opening-part-m/ but they seem pretty obtrusive or just too high. Perhaps there are "nicer" ones on the market that I've not spotted.

So my thoughts are to remove the bar and either replace it with https://www.reddiseals.com/product/weatherbar-plus-door-threshold-bubble-seal/ rebating the new door to fit or router out a groove to take a brush seal eg http://www.formseal.co.uk/camstrips.html. Although the latter is aesthetically more pleasing to look at a smooth threshold, experience has taught me these brushes are awkward to fit accurately and will wear over time.

But before I go for the former, I thought I'd ask if there is another, probably better, way.

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I would cut my losses & replace the lot, with new door & frame, you would then have multi point locking,proper sealing ,etc.

Jord86 likes this.
  3. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

Briefly considered that but that's a lot of disturbance to the decor and plasterwork. Multipoint is overkill for an internal door lol. Also triples the cost.

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

The advantages with improved weather sealing,low threshold option & improved security (it is a front door) outweigh the disturbance to the decor and plasterwork.

Jord86 likes this.
  5. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

Well to get to this front door you still have to get through the outer front door with multipoint locking lol

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Maybe a better idea to draught-proof the outer?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Ah! a vestibule doorway, still wouldn't skimp on the security,

8. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

And it would still be a wooden door in a wooden frame lol

9. DufferDIY

DufferDIY Member

That's another project. Previous owners put in Upvc doors and windows in the porch that was built by the owners before them, but they skimped on the roof. Wind blows in around the edges of the roof and through the ceiling. Solution to that will be to replace the flat roof with a pitched roof.

10. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Cost wise I would probably fit a slimline stormguard. Other options seems to be throw a lot of money and disruption at it when all you want is a cheap and simple way of draught-proofing.

Probably the simplest would be this:
    [​IMG]

:D

Regarding the roof, a good flat roof will not allow wind in so you could save money by having a "professional" flat roof installed. My preference has always been pitched as I'm old school and never been a great fan of flat roofs even though modern materials have made a huge difference compared to the roofing felts of old.

KIAB likes this.
  11. Isitreally

Isitreally Active Member

You could just try some self adhesive foam tape stuck to the up right bar or door, to seal the obvious gap between it and the door,