Cutting granite floor tiles.

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by what2do, Jun 10, 2010.

1. what2do

what2do New Member

For the first time in years of bathroom installation, i now have a client who wishes to have granite floor tiles (as mentioned above!!!). What is it like to cut, i imagine everything will be required to be cut with the wet saw but is it much more difficult than porcelain? Personally, i enjoy cutting porcelain because the cut edge is nicely polished from the wet diamond - is it similar with granite? The same question regarding the cutting of holes with diamond, easier/same/more difficult than porcelain? Thanks for any replies and any other tips that you feel fit to mention, cheers.

2. tic tic

tic tic New Member

use a wet cutter for granite.
    for cutting holes in granite you will need a diamond core cutter..
    tips...for cutting holes in "any" tile..i would get a piece of plasterboard and cut a hole in this with the core cutter to suit,then you will have a template,then before i fix the tile to wall/floor...put the said tile onto a bench/floor etc.. and use the p/board as your template and drill till you have a few mm into the tile,throw the template away and drill,dont forget to have a sponge or spray bottle to keep the bit cool..
    ;)

3. what2do

what2do New Member

thanks for the reply, i've been tiling for 15 years and am more than kitted up (have the rubi hole cutting system with guide and pump) but i was just after some similarities/differences between granite and porcelain as it's the first time i've had to set tiles made from this. just wondering how easy it will be to cut a load of plinth tiles (600 x 200 mm each) from a 600 x 300 mm. i don't have an overhead cutter which would ensure that the cuts were parallel. i'd like to know if it should be ok with a table cutter - i can always hire an overheard if told it will be necessary. cheers.

4. tic tic

tic tic New Member

15 years of tile fixing,an you aint worked/fixed granite??..;)

ok best bit advice i will give you is...
    get down to your tile suppler and get a few granite tiles(should get them for free)

then get your wet saw looked out and have a go at cutting 100mm of them,to see how you get on...(just make sure your guide is secured on the wet saw).

if its not working then hire a overhead..

granite is more brittle than porkies..try dry cut a few and you will see.(will shatter on dry cutter)
    most porkies you can dry cut.

5. tic tic

tic tic New Member

ere what2do.. just read your post on ..installing c/b backerboards!!! you not made a mistake with them years you typed there...;) should it not be 1 year instead of 15..typo error ther was it bud.. :^O :^O:^O..only kidding mate..;)

6. what2do

what2do New Member

if i'd only been employed in the industry for 1 year, it would make me a very late starter in life lol. I've been using knauf since year dot, but i do admit that having read the post again, itis quite clear that he is not talking about a quantity of 500!!! On the same subject of tbb's, i've mechanically fixed them witout problems and have done so with the aknowledgement of knauf themselves, no need to batten, if the wall is adequate enough to take battens then it's also adequate to take the tbb's directly - catch my dri
    large developments are my preferred workloads with wetrooms and vast floor areas, hence, granite coverings are a bit tricky when wet to say the least. i don't know an architect in his right mind that would specify them, however, this is a private client that 'knows more than all of us put together' and will make sure that his family 'take care' on the wet floor!!! i expect to see him in A&E in the future (we'll be there for legitimate injuries caused by sport lol).