Cutting in

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Tilt, Jul 29, 2021.

  1. Tilt

    Tilt Active Member

    Do any of you guys cut in using a mini roller?

    P;ease note that this is referring to student accommodation so professional finish is not expected.

    At present I use a mini roller and a circa 400 x 150 mm piece of plastic to run the roller against and it works very well for this situation.
    I learned of this method at a previous post whilst working for an agency a few years ago and they had a plastic sheet that I believe was purpose made, but I cannot find anything similar in this country (last time I searched anyway)
    I use a piece of plastic that I have cut from one of my old freezer drawers.

    The gaffer at the previous post was Polish and he may have said that he bought his (circa 300 x 200 x 2 mm) piece of plastic with him. I cannot remember for sure. It had chamfered edges all around for sure.

    So, does anyone know where these may be found, anyone heard of them before or found anything that can be used over and over again.
    We could do with a couple as a few members of the office staff will be joining us in painting quite soon and they have said they hate cutting in with a brush and it takes ages.

    Cheers guys.
  2. Muzungu

    Muzungu Screwfix Select

  3. Tilt

    Tilt Active Member

    That one is no good for my purpose but I will search 'Decorators Straight Edge', with fingers crossed as I do not have a piece of plastic suitable to make another one......

    Thanks for the search idea... :)
    Muzungu likes this.
  4. Tilt

    Tilt Active Member

    Hmm. No luck with 'paint guard' or 'paint shield' or 'decorators straight edge'.

    The ones showing (and as not very good it seems, in most cases) seem designed for running a paintbrush along rather than a mini roller.
    Definitely too narrow width wise and ideally need to be circa 400mm length.

Share This Page