Cutting Laminate Faced Door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rodney Green, May 22, 2020 at 7:07 PM.

1. Rodney Green

Rodney Green New Member

Hi everyone, I need to trim an expensive laminate faced door. I’m thinking fine tooth circular saw? Any hints and tips please? Thank you

2. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

cut laminate with a sharp knife then masking tape to prevent chipping

Rodney Green likes this.
  3. Rodney Green

Rodney Green New Member

Thank you, so score the the laminate on both sites of the door through masking tape then saw it?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Fine toothed, sharp blade with lots of teeth, masking tape over the cutline and edges of the door, score the cutline with a sharp Stanley knife, cross your fingers, pray, and make the cut. You can also score a second cutline a couple of mm away from the first, cut, then plane to the first line to hopefully eliminate chance of splintering.

Sometimes though, it doesn't matter what precautions you take, the baxxxrd just splinters, cheap doors with poor bonded veneer/laminate.

Rodney Green and WillyEckerslike like this.
  5. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Active Member

yes that right

Rodney Green likes this.
  6. Rodney Green

Rodney Green New Member

This door cost £300 so I hope it doesn’t lol but got the general idea! Inspired idea cutting the laminate first! Thanks

7. Rodney Green

Rodney Green New Member

Thanks so much! Makes perfect sense now

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

In an ideal world if you're paying that sort of money for a door you'd fit a new lining/frame to avoid as much cutting and planing as possible, but if the rough opening itself is too small, unless you break the disc cutter out, cutting and planing is unavoidable.

Rodney Green likes this.
  9. Rodney Green

Rodney Green New Member

It’s actually a new project and the wife door choice factor came into play after I’d fixed the lining! Cheers for the advice though

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Place a length of scrap timber under width of door and set blade depth to door thickness plus a couple of mm so your cutting through door and into this ‘sacrificial’ timber

Place same depth timber under middle and head of door to keep it level

60 tooth quality blade will do a nice job, along with scoring and masking tape

Can cut into the middle from both edges to avoid any breakout at exit edge but need to be super accurate with saw guide so cut lines meet perfectly

Hold your breath and go for it - good luck :)

Rodney Green likes this.
  11. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I've never had to cut a laminate door down but wouldn't the same techniques as cutting down a kitchen worktop apply?
    Some of the laminates on those are really **** (poor). So long as you take measures to prevent breakout at the end of the cut....

Rodney Green and kitfit1 like this.
  12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If the OP is worried about chipping, a router and a straight edge is the cleanest and safest way of doing it.