cutting plugs

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mike spark, Aug 22, 2007.

1. mike spark

mike spark New Member

Hi i need some advice about cuting plugs to cover screw heads in timber.

What attachment can i get for my cordless to cut plugs and the right size hole for the plugs, i need to cut plugs for 4 x 40mm woodscrews. I am pretty sure that screwfix do the attachment i am looking for but i cant find it (mainly because i dont know what the attachment is called).

thanks in advance

2. scribes not mitres

scribes not mitres New Member

A wood plug cutter

3. joiner_sim

joiner_sim New Member

Hi,

the actually cutter is a plug cutter. But unless you want to buy a drill stand, you maybe able to sue the tools you already have. You can use a router to cut the plugs with a plug cutter.

4. dirtybarry

dirtybarry New Member

they're actually called pellets, and with a strong and steady arm could just use a normal drill , i've done it loads of times

5. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

You can use this set in your cordless http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp;jsessionid=NGW1ZT4ISPQKKCSTHZOSFFA?id=35920&ts=19693

Ideally it is best to use a drill stand to cut multiple plugs in one go but you can do a few at a time with a cordless. Break them out with a chisel or screwdriver. Make sure that you drill a deep enough countersink to give a sufficient seat and glue area for the plug. Let the glue go off before flattening off with a sander.

With a bit of care you can match up the grain of the timber you are taking the plugs from with the work piece to minimise the evidence of the covers.

DWD

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

you must use use a matching set like dwd showed you if the countersink hole is more than 0.5mm more or less you will have trouble getting the plug to fit

i take a bit of 6x1" drill holes with the plug cutter almost to the shank along the central side axis on the wood with a 4mm gap between them set the band saw fence to 3mm thickness several passes before the holes run out re-drill the holes to full depth same again you can do around 200 plugs in around 10 mins easily

drill around 15 plug holes along the length then every series of passes will give you around 90 plugs [6 passes]

big all

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

and i just use a battery drill freehand

8. mike spark

mike spark New Member

Will it be alright to use the one DWD gave a link to, for cutting plugs for 4 x 40 screws. Or do i need to find a plug cutter that cuts smaller plugs than no8.

thanks

9. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Use a 10mm or 3/8" counterbore for 4mm screws and a matching plug cutter, I use the Veritas tapered cutters and also the Trend snappy ones as well as the Trend TCT drill/countersinks.

JAson

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

Will it be alright to use the one DWD gave a link to,
    for cutting plugs for 4 x 40 screws. Or do i need to
    find a plug cutter that cuts smaller plugs than no8.

thanks

yes absolutly fine

big all

11. newbie carpenter

newbie carpenter New Member

Can any of you experienced boys offer any advice on weather, a 20mm by 20mm batten fixed to the underside of the shelves will stop the shelves from sagging?

I am bit paranoid that when the customer starts to load up the shelves the storage units will fall apart, mainly because these are the first built in storage i have made (although the units will only be storing toys and clothes).

all the best newbie

12. newbie carpenter

newbie carpenter New Member

Sorry my bad, wrong thread.

13. scribes not mitres

scribes not mitres New Member

For the ske of 4 plugs/pellets a chisel could be used.

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

When I've tried cutting plugs freehand, I've made a right pig's ear of it. I've got a couple of old Stanley plug cutters....They're probably fine & maybe I'm a better engineer than a chippie. :^O

15. big all

big all Screwfix Select

For the ske of 4 plugs/pellets a chisel could be used.

i am fairly shure thats the metric screw size 4x40mm ;)

big all

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You can buy the plugs ready cut.

17. trimking

trimking New Member

Tip for cutting plugs without a drill stand,

Use the plug cutter to drill right through a bit of 12mm ply about 3" wide by 6" long, place the ply onto the wood you'll be cutting the plugs out of and use the hole as a guide to keep the plug cutter on track,

works well as long as you keep clearing the chips out of the cutter.

18. Ion Transient

Ion Transient New Member

well you should know..seeing as you have a huge collection of butt-plugs

19. lojo

lojo New Member

Yes, you can buy pellets, so unless you need to make them to match uncommon wood type that is the easy option.

I know you can buy pine and oak, not sure what else is avalilble off the shelf

20. ultimatehandyman

ultimatehandyman New Member