cutting plugs

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mike spark, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Trog

Trog New Member

^Talking of plug eh ultimate :)

2. ebanista

ebanista New Member

DO NOT use a router!!

3. Tkitt9

Tkitt9 New Member

when i cut my plugs i stand on my scrap wood and jam drill between my feet keep drill upright and it cuts fine.Got to be creful doing this job without drill press can be lethal.:)

4. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Predrill em in the workshop before you set off. If you fancy drilling them freehand it is awkward and a bit risky as there is nothing to centre them. You can use a router as long as the shank is 1/4 inch 6mm 8mm or 1/2 inch you have the respective collet and a variable speed router and clamp the base down each time

5. ebanista

ebanista New Member

Repeat - DO NOT USE A ROUTER!

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Explain why not to use a router then mate. with a variable speed router on slow a top quality plug cutter and a safely secured workpiece what is the problem. And dont give me that the cutter isnt made to the same spec because cheap router cutters are unbalanced and made of soft metal.

7. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

WHAT MAKES YOUR WORD GOSPEL THEN SHOUTY

8. dirtybarry

dirtybarry New Member

Explain why not to use a router then mate. with a
    variable speed router on slow a top quality plug
    cutter and a safely secured workpiece what is the
    problem. And dont give me that the cutter isnt made
    to the same spec because cheap router cutters are
    unbalanced and made of soft metal.

i'm with ebanista , it sounds really dodgy what your attempting DO NOT USE A ROUTER WHEN CUTTING PELLETS

9. ebanista

ebanista New Member

Explain why not to use a router then mate. with a variable speed router on slow a top quality plug cutter and a safely secured workpiece what is the problem. And dont give me that the cutter isnt made to the same spec because cheap router cutters are unbalanced and made of soft metal.

It's called safety 'mate'. Show me a reputable book or manual that recommends using a router for this purpose?

10. big all

big all Screwfix Select

definatly not wise to use a plug cutter in a router for several reasons

one router cutters can happily move in 2 directions at once without danger
    in other words you can plunge and if your router moves a mm or 2mm sideways no probs its designed to do that
    where as plug cutters are not indeed any sideways movement may cause the cutter to snatch as it burns and binds as only the leading edge cuts this would also lead to undersized plugs
    plug cutters by there design dont clear sawdust so need lower speed to avoid overheating
    the ideal speed for a plug cutter is around 1500 rpm no router will rev that slow

i use a battery drill on 1300rpm and thats perfect
    if your drill wanders by a degree or two in any direction it dosn't matter it wont bite or burn the cutter will just cut at a slightly different angle

big all

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

the issue about movement is irrelevant due to the fact that I clearly stated that the base needed clamping down each time. as for safety explain to me how a non centred plug cutter in a cordless drill is safe. I cut all my plugs on my pillar drill but I have cut them using a router as well. I deal in accuracy not drilling them any old how with a cordless. As for asking me to show you a manual or a book get a grip on yourself MATE.

12. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

And its not some thing I am attempting. Its something I do. i also take the guards off my saw if i want to groove or rebate. I also dont have a power feed on my spindle. I also have been known to to do rebating on my planer. I also have been known to double cut on my saw. All of these things are not in any manual or guide. I have learnt my trade and sometimes do things that arent by the book in order to get a job finished. Nobody sticks to the rules all the time so there is no need for people to get all preachy with me. Most of you criticising me for this have nothing like the setup that I have or the experience that I have. I have cut plugs witha router before and have had no problems and if it came to the choice between using a router that is fixed down and on slow speed or waving a cordless drill with a non centred plug cutter in it an risking breaking my wrist I will choose the router everytime

13. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeelllooo golden boy hows it going :D:D:D

i will assume that heated comments where no more aimed at me than than my general comments where aimed at you ;)

cutting plugs with a battery drill just dosn't snach it dosnt cut fast enough

with great respect assuming your cutters are the same as mine i would happily let a 12 year old use them as they are no more dangerous than a 10mm drill bit

i have just been out the shed to try and be dangerous and get it to snatch unless you are extremly ham fisted the cutters easily self centre without a problem
    you dont even have to ease the bit in at reduced speed it just cuts a natural circle

big all

14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The only people I am having a pop at are people who post on here and claim to be the founts of all knowledge. There are many people who post on screwfix whg know everything in theory and nothing in practice. People saying things like "what you are atempting sounds very dangerous DO NOT USE A ROUTER" etc etc. The person who posted that and similar comments clearly think, reckon, surmise, assume, etc etc. Trouble is for all those people who post comments like that is that I dont base my opinions upon what I have read or been told or thought I base my opinions upon what I know, what I personally have done. I resent being told by people who clearly dont know thier planer knives from their marking knives what is right and what is wrong. There is aclear demarkation on here between those who know and those who think. I personally have drilled plugs freehand, with a pilar drill and routed them and based upon my own personal experience and not upon what I have read or been told say that the safest way by far is witha pillar drill second best router and third best freehand.

15. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Obviously I can on speak about quality Trend Products ;)

1. When cutting plugs with a Snappy plug cutter in your cordless. Spin the plug cutter, in your cordless drill, in reverse whilst pressing on the timber, this creates a perfect guide when you then switch to forward and cut the plug. No need for a pillar drill.

2. Plug cutters that are designed for use in a router are perfectly safe if used correctly.

HTH,

andy@trend

16. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

sorry mate but that is complete nonsense. To say that there is no need to use a pillar drill is absolute rubbish. I am fully aware of all of trends products I have many of them. However drilling plugs is a job that needs the plug to be drilled at 90 degrees in order to ensure the plug is drilled accurately and safely. To come on here and say that there is no need to use a pillar drill is wrong. For some bodger and there are plenty of them on here fine let them drill a wonky plug if they want to but just because your range of Snappy gear has a plug cutter in it does not mean it is ideal to cut plugs that way. Difference is lots of people on here talk the talk but cant walk the walk

17. big all

big all Screwfix Select

ok time to relax and reflect things wil seem different in the morning ;)

what ever works for you is great as has been said many times we all have our own way of working and we are ALL guilty of thinking we know best ;)

i for one am still learning

big all

18. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

Big Al; you are correct. Unfortunately some people think there way is the only way and keep on preaching to others. They need to chill and take it easy. If the author of the topic has already made a decision he may have purchased pre-made plugs, in which case they may as well put your handbags away! ;)

19. andy@trend

andy@trend New Member

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one goldenboy,

I appreciate that you have your own view on this one, I can only advise on correct use of our products as determined by our R&D department, I am not suggesting that your view of using any other manufacturers plug cutter in a pillar drill is incorrect.

Just for the record, our company is full of highly qualified staff and ex trades people who can both talk the talk and walk the walk.

regards,

andy@trend ;)

20. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

course you have. Those who cant do it teach. Those who cant teach sell