Cutting PVC trim after install?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by glezga, Dec 24, 2019.

1. glezga

glezga Member

Hi all - 1st Post!

Long story short, Installer has left me in the lurch and won’t be back to finish job – so im on my own.

I’m installing PVC skirting that’s bigger than the space he’s left me. Was supposed to be a 60mm tile border but I don’t have the tools/skill to cut them – plus ive changed my mind to PVC. Cant get 60mm skirting.

So I need to cut the trim, while its in place – to install the skirting. The wall board is very fragile bt the trim is very tough. Was thinking use a dremel disc?

Thanks for any help/advice ;)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  2. glezga

glezga Member

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

How much needs to come off the metal trim?

4. glezga

glezga Member

About 40mm - its PVC trim not metal but pretty tough!

5. jackelliott07

jackelliott07 Active Member

How is it fixed in place?

6. glezga

glezga Member

its fixed with grab adhestive

7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The external corner can be done with a hacksaw, the internal one done with a multitool. Use a bi metal blade with lots of small teeth.

8. glezga

glezga Member

Thanks for the info. any chance you could suggest a blade. i dont actually own a dremel but its a similar style (rotary tool)

9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

After the advice off a couple of blokes on here, I buy my multitool blades from Saxton tools, they have a website. They’re very good and half the price of the equivalent Dewalt, Bosch etc. You have to be careful what type of locking system keeps the blade in the tool as there are different methods.

For cutting pvc you want a blade with lots of small teeth that gives a fine finish, rather than a blade with several teeth that is suited for rough cutting of timber.

glezga likes this.
  10. glezga

glezga Member

Many thanks, ill do a bit or research ;)

11. jackelliott07

As above, good advice.

Alternatively, could you try and remove the trim? Warming it up slightly may help to loosen the grab adhesive and allow you to slip a filling knife or similar underneath to help loosen?

Obviously need to be careful that it doesn't damage the wallboard, but given grab adhesive is only on the bit that will ultimately be hidden, it might not matter too much?

glezga likes this.
  12. glezga

glezga Member

yes but the trim isnt just the chrome part, it has "wings" that lock intio the wall board. i reconon if i can get the chrome part cut a stanley blade will get the rest/

see the last pic above

13. jackelliott07

Ah, fair point. Didn't notice

Good luck anyway!

glezga likes this.
  14. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

A multi tool might be a bit difficult to use without damaging the panels in any way, a dremel cutting disc would be more precise, but seen as you don't own either i would just carefully score several times with a sharp stanley until almost through then snap off at the end.

glezga likes this.
  15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Can you not trim the board to fit either lower or to butt up and some filler?

glezga likes this.
  16. glezga

glezga Member

update sorry pc went haywire!

the multitool with teeth done the job perfectly ;)