Cutting steel threaded rod

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paddington, May 3, 2009.

1. Paddington

Paddington New Member

Hiya
    How easy is it to cut steel threaded rod? Will a hack saw and some elbow grease do for M8 rods or will I need a power tool?

Thanks very much

2. manassa

manassa New Member

Hacksaw is fine unless you,ve got loads to cut.

3. imran_

imran_ New Member

You need a good clamp or vice - otherwise it'll all move together. Jigsaw with a fine steel blade will work a treat.

4. r0land

r0land New Member

A good hacksaw will be fine, holding it in place is the trickiest part. A good tip, if you have access to a vice, is to screw a couple of nuts on and use them as clamping points for the vice, this saves damaging the threads or messing about with 'soft jaws'. Put a nut on at the place you want to cut the rod then use it as a guide to keep the blade straight, when you unscrew the nut it should clean any ragged edges away from the newly cut threads.

Cheers

5. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

A hacksaw will do fine but an angle grinder would be a lot quicker!

6. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter Active Member

Good advice from R0land here, that approach works for me too. Oliver's approach will leave you spending much more than the time you saved cleaning up the thread I fear.

If you want to speed the job up you could use a reciprocating saw with a steel blade.

I use a lot of these for repairing floor joists where they've rotted at the ends. If I have room I tend to use the 300mm lengths of threaded bar from SFD then cut off what I don't need once I've bolted it down tight. This saves me having to vice it up to cut it. A 300mm length will do 2 through joints. I bolt it up at one end, cut it with the reciprocating saw then use the other half on another joint.

7. Welshmally

Welshmally New Member

My builders made a little 'vice' in 2 minutes: 2' piece of 4" X 2", nail 2 battens along the length with just enough space between them to drop the bar in snugly - nice and easy to hold in the Workmate too. Bob's yr unc.

8. ponty01.

ponty01. New Member

8mm? just a hacksaw will do - you could almost bite through that with your teeth!

The only problem you may emcounter is getting the cut lengths to screw into the female thread due to the 'burr' created through the cutting process. You will need to dress this with a hand file or bench grinder.

9. Pikerray

Pikerray Member

I use a 9" angle grinder all the time, no messin.

10. ­

­ New Member

Use an axe, much quicker.

11. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

My Makita Cordless angle grinder with a 1.5mm metal disc wops through M10 bar and nuts screw straight on no probs.

12. Paddington

Paddington New Member

To everyone that has replied - thank you very much. Your tips are much appreciated

13. Richard-IV

Richard-IV New Member

This worked for me first time.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019