Cutting the curved glass of an extractor fan

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by rogerk101, Feb 28, 2018.

1. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Hi
    I have a customer who is determined to install an extractor fan that has a curved glass above the hob (something like the picture below).
    The glass panel needs to be trimmed to enable the corner cupboard to open.
    Have any of you ever tried cutting one of these?
    If so, what is the trick?
    Thanks in advance.
    Regards
    Roger

upload_2018-2-28_16-41-47.jpeg

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Club hammer and cold chisel.

btiw2 and Astramax like this.
  3. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

it cant be cut it is toughened glass

longboat, KIAB, kitfit1 and 1 other person like this.
  4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

As ginger tuffs has said, toughened glass = a big no no.
    The way to do this is make a template out of ply or MDF and then have the glass cut, toughened and whatever colour finish the customer wants. I would say we probably do this on one in two kitchen fits nowdays.

5. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

The customer is not always right.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A case of sucking air through teeth, rubbing of chin, eyes looking up at ceiling, it can be done but it’s gonna be expensive ....... very expensive :eek:

All you can do is get a quote for the glass, add on your work / time and let the customer decide :)

7. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I've just re-read the OP's post and realised i was thinking the OP was asking about a backplash. :eek: the op's post is asking about actually cutting a bit off of the curve of the glass on the hood.
    Got to ask then.................what **** designed a kitchen that needed that to be done in the first place :eek: beggers belief.

CGN and KIAB like this.
  8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Club hammer and cold chisel.

Chisel in the customers eye and hammer to the designers head.

9. rogerk101

It's not quite as sinister as the incorrect conclusions to which some are jumping ...
    The kitchen layout has been in place for years.
    The original extractor fan was one of those which pulled out like a drawer from the cupboard above the hob. It was a nightmare to clean, and was frequently struggling with condensation drips and even water getting into its light and fan controls. (Italians are capable of some cools designs, but they're seldom as practical as they should be!)
    Since the original extractor fan is being replaced anyway, and since there is a reluctance to repeat what was there, the owner asked for one like in the picture above.
    I pointed out that the glass hood would protrude into the 'swing' of the corner cupboard door, and they asked whether the tip of the corner of the glass panel could be cut on the one side for the door and on the other side to match.
    I read up on the topic and most seemed to think not, but I thought I'd try asking the question here.
    It's that simple and it's that innocent.

10. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Can you change the side that the door hangs on?

11. seen it all before

Why not get one of the m8dern ones that angles up towards the ceiling, just fitted one and it was only 300mm deep. I'll try posting a picture of one.

12. seen it all before

13. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

You can cut(saw) toughened glass and file it too.

14. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Whenever I've bought a sheet of toughened glass from the local glazing companies, it's cut to size, edges bevelled or rounded, then sent away to be hardened which I believe involves a heating process, never heard of being cut once hardened.

15. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

If it's a corner unit, does that mean there are two doors, one of which has a corner fillet attached, and they open in opposite directions.
    If that is the case, would it be possible to attach the other door to the corner unit fillet as well, so it all opens in one piece away from the cooker hood.

16. rogerk101

Tried that, but unfortunately it doesn't allow the door to be opened wide enough to access all the goodies on the rotating shelf inside.

17. ginger tuffs

ginger tuffs Screwfix Select

if you can get someone to cut with a diamond waterfeed saw you can only take half the thickness if it expodes they after strip out machine out to clean so its not worth it for the glazier

18. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Hinge one door onto the corner fillet so it opens and folds together.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Explain HA.

20. HarDeBloodyHarHar

HarDeBloodyHarHar Active Member

Har.

Casserole dish as an example. Had a chip in the handle, sharp and most people would throw away.
    I took a tile-saw(diamond wire) cut a small bit out, filed and ground out smooth shape with the saw, finished with a metal file and wetndry emery. The tile saw would cut that. Finish is smooth and safe to use. WP_20180302_001.jpg WP_20180302_003.jpg WP_20180302_004.jpg