cutting tiles that are fixed to the wall

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by homegoat, Apr 25, 2021.

1. homegoat

homegoat New Member

hi folks, got to fit a new upvc window replacing old wooden one
    there are tiles on the cill and part way up the wall (its a kitchen)
    my thoughts are make a wooden guide to fit the cill fix/hold it in place then use angle grinder with tile cutter disc to cut the tiles
    the tiles are 15 yrs old so can't get any more, got some spares but not enough to replace them all

anyone got any thoughts ?

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

should work ok. You may find some will break, loosen with the removal of the old window though.

homegoat likes this.
  3. RedArcher1964

RedArcher1964 New Member

How are you going to cut into the corners?

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

square blade obviously :cool:

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Problem will be at internal corners using a cutting disc

Could cut the bulk as you’ve suggested, then ‘stitch drill’ the corners using a tile bit, complete the cut with a carbide blade and multi tool

Use a straight edge carbide blade not the circular type, start the blade at an angle at a drill hole so it bites into tile material and doesn’t skid across the glaze

I’ve trimmed back hard floor tiles using this method after a ‘pro’ tiler took bathroom floor tiles an inch or so into hallway for some strange reason

Yes, it’s not gonna look pretty but either finish edge to window frame with bead of silicon or an appropriate trim - loads to choose from

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Why can't the window be fitted from outside? Why do you need to remove the tiles, or am I missing something?

7. We just had an old window replaced and they fitted it without breaking or cutting any tiles, are u sure u need to cut them

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Maybe the new dbl glazed window is deeper than the old (single glazed ?) wooden window so needs to sit further back in the wall - hence the tiles need to be cut back

But I’m just guessing here at this stage !

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Often the case that it will butt right up to existing player/tiles etc.

10. homegoat

homegoat New Member

window wise, the old wooden one is 55mm deep the new upvc one is 75mm (need the large frame to fit style of the other windows) so i need to take off 20mm from the tiles, otherwise window will be sticking out the wall.
    on my other upvc window frames i've fitted a upvc trim/bead to smarten the look up, so i was already thinking about that

do you think i should score the tiles before i try to cut them with the angle grinder ?

i was going to put a plastic sheet on the inside of the opening to try to reduce the dust/muck going inside the kitchen

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

if you can, will help prevent as much chipping

12. homegoat

homegoat New Member

UPDATE
    hi folks just in case others have this job
    i got 5" diamond cutter disc for tiles, a dust guard shroud (with vacuum hole) for angle grinder (my angle grinder is 115mm but you remove the normal guard)
    made a wooden guard/cutter guide to cover the tiles in the corners i removed the angle grinder guard (so just have the disc on grinder so be careful)
    I did put dust sheet up to stop dust going into the house, but the vacuum guard shroud worked well